How do you approach new problems?

bilis_money

Let say your client assigned you a new project then you accepted this,

but you realized this is very new problem and you have never experienced this before,

How do you approach the problem? How do you make solution for this?

What's your steps for solving this problem.

Any idea on how to solve always changing and brand new problems?

I'm just curious for this type of matter because i have a friend that is very smart, if you give him

problem then he will think in just minutes then later he will give his idea and solution i can't believe people like

him exist in this planet i think he is a super geek or an alien to me.  LOL  :D

But if you have bright answer to these questions also please share it to me maybe i can upgrade my thinking too.

Thank you very much...  :D

How does one even answer this question?  I would say it would vary from problem to problem.  The ultimate answer is that is would depend on your ability to use your brain effectively and as thorpe said, break the problem down.  Some people are just smarter than others.

yeah that's the point there

"Some people are just smarter than others."

When my friend answer a question he is very smart it's very accurate it's just like he has a photographic memory.

Some times i'm very jealous at him i want to stab him with pork. LOL  :D

Is there a way to extract and study someone's brain LOL?  :D

Or maybe he has a technique or pattern that he always follow every time he tries to figure out problems.

i like to work backwards when mapping out what needs to be done.

what needs to happen to accomplish my final goal (z)?

then, what(y) needs to happen to do that(z)?

and what(x) do i need to do that(y)?

etc.

eventually you have a list of steps:

do (A) and you will get (B), once you do B, you accomplish ©,  finish C and you'll have (D)....all the way until you get to your goal (Z).

Practice word problems.  In grade school I hated word problems because I didn't understand their purpose.  Let's say you're learning to add and subtract, I always considered a worksheet with 30 problems on it more effective than one with 5 word problems.  I thought if I understood the core concept I could do any of the word problems.  Well, here is the example that taught me the difference when I was about 12:

220 students are going on a field trip and each bus can hold 40 students.  How many buses are needed?

Simple!  220 / 40 = 5.5

I felt like a moron when the teacher asked me how I was going to take 1/2 a bus.

The real world is nothing but word problems.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.