[SOLVED] Text not showing up right

BrandonE97

We'd need to see more than one declaration, i.e. let's see some of the html code.  I assume your stuff is in a table.  By default, td content is vertically aloigned in the moddle of the cell.  Wonder if that's anything to do with it?

Are you floating anything? FF and IE7 do an excellent job of knowing where to position if you're using 2 columns with float. For some reason, if you don't also float the right side, IE6 will push what's in the right column far enough down so that all the left column data is above it.

Might not apply, but I've had that happen and it's an easy fix.

<body>
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td valign="top" rowspan="2" width="115">
<?php include("navmenu.php"); ?>
</td>
<td valign="top" height="75" class="title">IP Info</td>
</tr>
<tr>
	<td id="body" valign="top">
	Check your IP address here<br />
	<span class="spgreen">
	<?php
	echo('IP: '.$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);
	?></span><br />
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>

td.title {

width:545px;

height:75px;

font-size:46px;

text-align:center;

text-decoration:underline;

font-weight:bold;

}

I removed the height from the html since I should probably keep that in the css doc. As far as what is pushing the text down I have no idea how to fix that.

I don't know much about tables for layout but it seems like you have one tr row that contains the navigation and the header IP INFO, then you create a new tr that contains the actual ip info.  If you think about it, that first tr is going to expand to the height of the nav on the left since it contains that td, so the next tr will come below that. and it looks like the ip address comes immediately after the height of the nav on the left.  Maybe try moving the ip information into the td that contains the ip header.  Again I don't really know tables that well but that's what it seems like to me.  

I don't know much about tables for layout but it seems like you have one tr row that contains the navigation and the header IP INFO, then you create a new tr that contains the actual ip info.  If you think about it, that first tr is going to expand to the height of the nav on the left since it contains that td, so the next tr will come below that. and it looks like the ip address comes immediately after the height of the nav on the left.  Maybe try moving the ip information into the td that contains the ip header.  Again I don't really know tables that well but that's what it seems like to me. 

Your assessment is wrong. He's using rowspan on the very first td. From a GENERAL standpoint, the first table has 3 cells. 2 in the first row and 1 in the second. The first cell in the first row (the navigation) uses rowspan='2' so he doesn't need 2 cells in the second row. the first cell is "there" because the first cell in the first row takes up that space. The second cell in teh 2nd row will not start at the bottom of the nav cell.

Anytime I use the css code it shows up half way down the screen:

td#body {
vertical-align:top;
width:555px;
height:auto;
padding:10px;
}

but when I take away the id="body" and put a width and height in the code it shows up correctly and my content is right under the page title.

<body>
<tr>
<td valign="top" rowspan="2">
</td>
<td class="title">IP Info</td>
</tr>
<tr>
	<td id="body">
	<span class="spgreen">
	<?php
	?></span>
	</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>

So any ideas as to what is wrong, I cant figure it out. Thanks for any help and the help of those that have already replied.

It's surely this line:

<td class="title">IP Info</td>

--the browser is making that cell tall, it equals "height of left rowspanned td" minus "height of bottom right td"

-solution: get rid of rowspan and just make it a 2 col, 1 row table:

<tr>
        <td valign="top">
        </td>
        <td id="body">
            IP Info<br />
            <span class="spgreen">
<?php
?></span>
        </td>
    </tr>
</table>

Here is the title css:

td#title {
width:555px;
height:75px;
vertical-align:top;
font-size:46px;
text-decoration:underline;
font-weight:bold;
}

I figured the height would fix my problem. Firefox still renders it correctly lol. Thanks for everyones help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.