60 members have voted

1. 1. What Browser do you use?

• Firefox 2+
    • Under Firefox 2
    • Internet Explorer 7
    • Under Internet Explorer 7
    • Opera
    • Other

And so what if a lot of people are used to Google and are dependant on them? The same can be said about the oil companies.

I think it's silly to pick on Google when they aren't even being bad.

the same can be said of oil companies, you're absolutely right.  and who gouges their consumers by colluding and cranking gas costs, and have one of the most powerful lobby groups?  coming from a city run pretty much entirely by the oil and gas industry, i can definitely say it's a far cry to say that utter dependence on a certain organization is innocuous, regardless of the company's seeming good-will or intentions.

i'm sure at some point, the oil companies "just wanted to make accessible fuel and efficient chemical derivatives a reality."  google is a business with a bottom line, just like all others.  they just happen to have had a marginal amount more ethical weight in their decisions thus far.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's safe to call GMail an application.

GMail is a mail application, for which there are alternatives. I use the alternatives. I do not use Gmail, for a few simple reasons: I think the interface sucks, I don't like using web-based applications, and it's powered by Google.

And you can do whatever you want with closed-source (but free) programs.

You can use them however you want.

Send them to whoever you want whenever you want for whatever you want.

You can modify it however you want if it has capability for extensions (which I think someone posted that Opera does)

So I'm really not sure what the problem is.

There are clauses in the licenses of nearly every single non-free application that specify how you can and can't use it, how you can and can't distribute it, and how trying to change the behavior is a violation of the license. You're stuck with the behavior provided by the developer, never mind the fact that it may not be what you want.

And I don't care that I don't want to modify every single application I use - all I want is the ability to do so if I desire. I'm a huge proponent of freedom, be it the freedom to speak your mind, the freedom to travel within your own country without telling the police where you are (a law in some European countries), or the freedom to analyze the software you're using, modify it however you see fit, and distribute the modified software to your friends (or the world).

Please note that I'm not picking on Google. I just don't like supporting their rise to power and being one more user dependent on them.

I think it's safe to call GMail an application.

GMail is a mail application, for which there are alternatives. I use the alternatives. I do not use Gmail, for a few simple reasons: I think the interface sucks, I don't like using web-based applications, and it's powered by Google.

And you can do whatever you want with closed-source (but free) programs.

You can use them however you want.

Send them to whoever you want whenever you want for whatever you want.

You can modify it however you want if it has capability for extensions (which I think someone posted that Opera does)

So I'm really not sure what the problem is.

There are clauses in the licenses of nearly every single non-free application that specify how you can and can't use it, how you can and can't distribute it, and how trying to change the behavior is a violation of the license. You're stuck with the behavior provided by the developer, never mind the fact that it may not be what you want.

And I don't care that I don't want to modify every single application I use - all I want is the ability to do so if I desire. I'm a huge proponent of freedom, be it the freedom to speak your mind, the freedom to travel within your own country without telling the police where you are (a law in some European countries), or the freedom to analyze the software you're using, modify it however you see fit, and distribute the modified software to your friends (or the world).

Please note that I'm not picking on Google. I just don't like supporting their rise to power and being one more user dependent on them.

Oh okay. Well maybe you should start a class action lawsuit against them if you fear they are becoming a monopoly?

And please put my post back to how I had it. When I quote someone I expect that they won't be able to take it back. That's kind of the whole point of quoting.

Oh okay. Well maybe you should start a class action lawsuit against them if you fear they are becoming a monopoly?

And please put my post back to how I had it. When I quote someone I expect that they won't be able to take it back. That's kind of the whole point of quoting.

I'm starting to get the feeling that this conversation is starting to go off-track... let's call it quits, shall we? :)

And I changed "powerfufl" to "powerful"... I'm not sure what you're upset about.

My main browser is FireFox, although I use that as well as IE and Opera when testing web development projects, especially because IE tends to do weird stuff with my CSS. Typically I write my CSS for FireFox and then go back and try to make it compatible for IE, while making it still work in FF. AAAAAAAAARRRGG!!!!

Maybe one day someone will either make and follow STRICT standards for web browsers, or just create a universal browser.

you pretty much need to create 2 css one specifically for IE

-M

I'm starting to get the feeling that this conversation is starting to go off-track... let's call it quits, shall we? :)

And I changed "powerfufl" to "powerful"... I'm not sure what you're upset about.

I'm not upset. I was just asking you to change my post back to how I originally posted it, unless there was something in it that was violating the forum rules? I don't think "powerfufl" is though.. o_O

• 2 weeks later...

I use opera, firefox and IE. For web browsing I use only Firefox, but when it comes to testing my websites I use all three. IE actually isn't that bad. You just need to know how to code right. Like not being silly and creating three columns with floats... IMO.  :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I've used Maxthon for quite a while. I've tried IE and FF and I like Maxthon the best. Plus I can use it on my U3 compatible flash drive at school. Firefox took a long time to load whereas Maxthon didn't so I stuck with it.
You do know that Maxthon isn't much more then a modified version of IE right? Which doesn't load faster, it's just that Microsoft has embedded IE into the Windows core, so most of it is forced to load up when you turn your computer on (so when you click the icon most of it has already started up).

There is a program for Firefox that lets Firefox act like this also, so if that's the only reason you want to use the IE engine, just use this with Firefox.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/

IE can never beat firefox
Amen to that. M$ is trying to steal/copy some of the awesomeness of Firefox (such as Firefox's awesome tabbed browsing capability), but they will never be more then bad posers. :)

IE can never beat firefox
Amen to that. M$ is trying to steal/copy some of the awesomeness of Firefox (such as Firefox's awesome tabbed browsing capability), but they will never be more then bad posers. :)

Firefox was not the first browser to introduce tabbed browsing... IBrowse was the first to have it in 1999. Opera was before Firefox with the tabs as well (they had it first time in 2000). Also, I hardly think you can call it copying.

On a slightly different note, Mozilla is taking a route with Firefox 3 that I approve of whole-heartedly. Instead of adding features, making things look prettier, etc., etc., they're going back to basics and improving in the security and functionality arenas.

• Where Firefox 2 regularly took up 280+ MB of memory on my laptop, Firefox 3 Beta 1 uses less than 50 MB.
  • According to this review, the download package for Windows is smaller. On the Linux side of things, I haven't noticed much of a difference - the bzball for 2.0.0.9 is 9.2M, and it's 8.7M for 3.0b1.
  • The menu system, preferences window, and add-ons manager are noticeably quicker, and it's much quicker to start up and close down.

I've only noticed one oddity that I can't intentionally reproduce - at odd times, the cursor in textareas disappears, so the only way you can tell where you are is by typing or using shift-arrowkeys to highlight text. A refresh of the page fixes it.

I don't remember saying Firefox is the first browser to have tabs.

No you didn't, but according to your definition of copying Firefox has copied as well which nullifies your argument. Everybody copies each other and copying each other is (to a certain extent) good in my opinion.

On a slightly different note, Mozilla is taking a route with Firefox 3 that I approve of whole-heartedly. Instead of adding features, making things look prettier, etc., etc., they're going back to basics and improving in the security and functionality arenas.

I totally agree. That it works and works fast is important for me as well. Eye candy comes after that. From what I can tell FF3 seems noticeably faster than FF2. Both page rendering and the GUI itself seems faster. I haven't noticed many GUI changes other than the bookmarks and the download manager (which is now finally supposed to be able to have resumable downloads). I've only just installed it a couple of hours ago though. Now I'm just waiting for all my plugins to be compatible with FF3. Of the plugins I use only one is compatible with FF3, Adblock Plus. The remainder is disabled when I'm using FF3.

No you didn't, but according to your definition of copying Firefox has copied as well which nullifies your argument. Everybody copies each other and copying each other is (to a certain extent) good in my opinion.

Not really. I think that M$ took the idea from Firefox not that other browser you named that noone has heard of.

It doesn't really matter if some other browser had it first or not. I'm just saying that M$ took the idea from Firefox.

In any case, I think Firefox always has been and always will be superior to IE :) you can try to convince me to use IE but whatever.

Heh... you'd never ever see me trying to convince people to use IE but that is more because it lacks support for standards, isn't cross-platform and because it's preinstalled on the worlds largest OS which makes some people believe that IE = The Internet.

yes... when i was first year college i thought IE is the internet thats why im wondering why Internet starts with I while the symbol is e(IE) shame on me i first touch computer year 2003 ...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.