DNS SERVICE Question

Crew-Portal

I think people who don't know what they're talking about shouldn't answer.

I sat for a minute and thought, can I answer this insane question in a way that will make sense? And I said to myself, no. I even asked my husband who much smarter than I and more experienced with this sort of thing, how would you answer that? And he said "I wouldn't".

How does DNS work? I don't know, but I'm sure someone out there has written information on it that you could find through Google. DNS has nothing to do with PHP, that much I am sure of.

Wikipedia has a pretty thorough explanation. Here. A Domain Name Server is a server specifically built for such a task. While you can write servers in PHP, its definitely not the most efficient language to do so with.

What exactly are you wanting to do?

okay dns works liek this

you send a request for a page for exmaple google.com

this request is sent to your isps dns server

your isps dns server will have an idea of what google ip address is i.e it will be cached this is done because if every dns server in the world kept asking gooogles servers what their ip is it would become very congested

if your isp dns server does not know it will send out a request to ine of your countrys dns servers asking if they know if not, your countries dns server will ask serval different cpuntries dns servers if they know of the site you are looking for and what its isp is. if not then the message is sent back down the line eventual back to you give you the famous 404 not found page

and if i didnt know what i was on about i would of neva started reading the post

My husband wanted to add this:

"The short answer (or what I thought was going to be a short answer) is that you are asking about something on the client side (i.e. the browser). The browser works with the operating system, which in turn works with the client system's configured DNS server(s) to provide the IP address(es) associated with the hostname entered in the browser. All the web server will see is the client system's browser making the connection and requesting the page. The web server (and in turn PHP) will never "see" the DNS request the client makes. PHP has no part in this process."

Okay so my question is this! Domain names cost money they normally cost around 7 dollars p year for hosting. Is there a program I can download to give myself a free domain like (www.mysite.com) not www.mysite.freedns.com? kinda like a webserver like http://24.76.180.18 is free so can you get free domains hosted throught your computer with a C++ or C# program or am I going to have to make my own

You can indeed run your own DNS service, but it will require a very stable server, and a dedicated, static IP address is strongly recommended, if not necessary. Bind is the industry standard for DNS server software, and can be found at www.bind9.net.

And one more little thing: Domain names are never free. You have to buy them from the appropriate domain name authority.

if not then the message is sent back down the line eventual back to you give you the famous 404 not found page
No, you get 404 page not found if you succesfully connect to the server without any problems, but it doesn't have the file you put in the URL.

E.G.  http://www.phpfreaks.com/asdf

Yes, download wamp or something and you can have http://localhost
Omg why did you post goatse on here!?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.