IE6 PNG Transparency

jcombs_31

I haven't used the stand alone version of IE6 but I do have the regular IE6 on an old xp box of mine. But to answer your question, I almost always use scriptaculous Effect.Opacity for the same effect. It is as simple as new Effect.Opacity(element_id, {from:0.5, to:0.5}) That would give it a 50% transparency and works perfectly with the version of IE6 that I have.

I haven't used the stand alone version of IE6 but I do have the regular IE6 on an old xp box of mine. But to answer your question, I almost always use scriptaculous Effect.Opacity for the same effect. It is as simple as new Effect.Opacity(element_id, {from:0.5, to:0.5}) That would give it a 50% transparency and works perfectly with the version of IE6 that I have.

While it may work good for giving an entire object transparency it cannot partially on an image (such as transparent background or a single thing in the image which is supposed to be transparent).

While it may work good for giving an entire object transparency it cannot partially on an image (such as transparent background or a single thing in the image which is supposed to be transparent).

Exactly, I'm just using a png with transparency already set in the image itself, which happens to be a background image. 

i use the iepngfix myself - works pretty well until it comes to background images. else i'll just use a GIF and jiggle about with the edging/background colour, etc until i can get something looking good enough. in all honesty though, apart from at work, i've stopped supporting IE6 altogether, but i can get away with it as my sites are generally fun/personal/hobby sites rather than corporate/client ones.

I read this post the other day and have since been looking for the article I am about to mention but seem to have misplaced my link so you will need to google for it.

I remember reading an article regarding PNG8. Which, apparently, handles transparency more like gifs in browsers that don't support png transparancey - IE6 etc. I remember thinking it was a good article at the time but unfortunately can't find it now. It was a fireworks article however and a tut on how to export your pngs in this format. Google it and see what you come up with.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.