why did you learn php?

kellz

I know certificates "help" but really it's just some writing on paper saying basically "he/she can do this and that and this..whatever" but i guess what really counts is your actual work and portfolio of what you've done not just some writing on paper with fancy logo's or w/e.. or am I wrong? Must I go to college to study or could I just do it at home and take my hair dressers course?^^ I'd like both but I don't really like the idea of going to college for it plus I looked and there are no colleges in my area that offer anything more than basic IT and web design and ECDL.

Well, it was back when i was 13 and i used to speak to some game owner daily, he was looking for some more coder's for his site. He told me all about HTML, and i learnt the basics. I didn't seem interested at the time. But HTML popped up again when i was about 14, This is when i went out and learnt HTML through. When speaking to my friend who's been programming for over 20 years now he explained to me about PHP. He told me this was the language used to make big websites. Not just HTML, he also explained a bit about mySQL. So i was determined to prove to him i could make a dynamic website. So i went away and learnt PHP, and made a real basic 2 minute game. After that for some reason i stopped learning and had a break, until i was about 15. My friend introduced me to his website he had created for PHP based games. So i signed up and started to browse over time, I learnt more and more on PHP. Now a couple of years later, I'm here. Im no longer learning anything from his forum, So I've decided to sign up here. So overall i think the real reason why i learn PHP was to prove to my friend I could and the younger generation can.

I know certificates "help" but really it's just some writing on paper saying basically "he/she can do this and that and this..whatever" but i guess what really counts is your actual work and portfolio of what you've done not just some writing on paper with fancy logo's or w/e.. or am I wrong? Must I go to college to study or could I just do it at home and take my hair dressers course?^^ I'd like both but I don't really like the idea of going to college for it plus I looked and there are no colleges in my area that offer anything more than basic IT and web design and ECDL.

Would you like a surgeon without any education to do a surgery on you?

Would you like a surgeon without any education to do a surgery on you?

well that's different because it's life or death and if not life or death it's risking your body not a computer program (and your body just happens to be worth more)..

I was actually just considering this from the perspective of the employer. I'd be most comfortable employing someone with proven skills than someone who claims to have learned things himself and therefore knows things. If two people came to me for a job, the first one being a Ph.D. and the second one having a "portfolio" then I would certainly employ the first one.

I was actually just considering this from the perspective of the employer. I'd be most comfortable employing someone with proven skills than someone who claims to have learned things himself and therefore knows things. If two people came to me for a job, the first one being a Ph.D. and the second one having a "portfolio" then I would certainly employ the first one.

Indeed. Though sometimes experience can be worth more than a degree in my opinion.

There are many computer programs that are life and death, they just happen to not be written in PHP.

Of course - we rely on computer programs daily to prevent death.

This could be a long post.

Around 98, I was quite heavily into producing experimental electronic music. I stumbled across a site (dnbscene.com) that where reviewing unsigned artists at the time, so I started producing a few dnb tracks and submitting them for review. I ended up doing pretty well and at one stage even had an ep released in the uk through a guy who heard my stuff on dnbscene. (Side note: Ive also had quite a few releases here in Aus)

Anyway, to cut a long story short. Slowly my tracks became less dnb and more experimental and the site started rejecting my tracks for review. I already knew there was a bunch of other similar (experimental) artists around so I decided to create a similar site based on experimental stuff. I would already maintained a few html sites for my music so it was a reasonable assumption (at the time) that I could easily build a dynamic site.

Dnbscene was written in asp, so I bought a book on the subject and spent the next 12 months or so getting my head around it. I ended up getting so involved with programming that I pretty much lost all interest I had in producing. I never did get around to launching my site either, just got too caught up and then eventually I got bored with asp after doing a fair amount of freelance work. By this stage I would already started to invest allot of time into Linux as well so asp had to go. I had (and still have) a mate (Mr Stanley) who has been a freelance php dev since he left school, figured it was to be my next choice and have been in love with it ever since.

Only recently have I started getting interested in producing again. I've pulled a few of my old synths out and have been playing around, but there's not allot around when it comes to a feature full sequencer for Linux so.... I'm looking at buying a mac for xmas and maybe getting back into it part time.

Anyway... that's my story.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.