Ever had to work on code that you had written a few years back?

zq29

One of our first clients came back to us this week wanting some changes carried out on a project that I wrote about three years ago. Reading back my old code makes me want to cry - Its so rubbish! Anyone else had this before, or have you always followed best coding practices and technique since the beginning? Looks like I sure didn't... :(

If i tried to work on some of the stuff i wrote more than a year ago i'd be pretty stuffed. I think it would probably be quicker to rewrite the stuff than to try and figure out what it all did - not to mention an awful lot more efficient. I still have the code for a text based game i wrote whilst in the early stages of learning php - the sheer messyness of the code is quite scary!

Yes I just looked at my code I worked on when I was learning php (around 4 years ago) :P found it somewhere on my hard drive its a total mess, but since I had prior perl expierence it was atleast not very bad.. but totally awful... Looking at it made me think, did I really write this... why so much of a jumbled mess... I could of done this function in one line.. and so on.. guess we all sailing in the same boat

Yep. Looking back at my first website that I programmed to help myself learn PHP, it's quite embarrassing. I think everyone has their ugly and inefficient coding days from back when they were first learning.

Then again, the people looking back and laughing at there own coding will probably look back at the code they are doing now in a few years and have the same thoughts now that they did the last time around. You are always learning, so looking back you are bound to always find something to laugh about.

Hehe, funny this topic has come up. I just had a client contact me yesturday wanting me to do some work on a site I wrote for them in asp some 6+ years ago.

I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm sure it won't be pretty. I haven't looked at any asp in at least 4 years. I don't even have a windows machine so I'm gonna borrow a laptop from work especially for it.

Yeah, not really looking forward to the excersize.

I encounter this all the time -- I have systems that have been running the same scripts for 8+ years... sure, it's ugly, but it gives you a reason to convince the cilent to revamp their website.

You mean to pay you again? :P

I encounter this all the time -- I have systems that have been running the same scripts for 8+ years... sure, it's ugly, but it gives you a reason to convince the cilent to revamp their website.

You mean to pay you again? :P

If it's been that long, their site is out of date anyway... and yes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.