Internet Explorer 8

The Little Guy

Great, we'll be coding for three versions of IE now then...

Well, if we're already coding to standards, and using hacks for Firefox and IE 6 and 7, then we shouldn't have any problems. :) (Oh, if only that were actually true...) Just have to make sure that you don't let IE slip into Quirks mode.

I wish m$ would just give up on internet explorer and bundle firefox with all copies of windows :P

That would just give FF an unfair advantage to the other browsers just like IE has an unfair advantage now. The only reason why IE is the most used browser is because it is bundled with the most used OS. The thing is that there has to be some sort of browser pre-installed and therefore it would be most logical that they shipped it with their own instead of a competitors.

Anyways, what's a millidollar? You cannot have 0.1¢.

It doesn't matter if they come out with IE8 or not. YOu should code to work with Firefox and IE6. If it works in those browsers your code should be good. Once your done with coding the whole page, then you should check it in IE7 and other browsers and make sure it works.

After coding for a long time, you learn to code in such a way that even IE can't screw it up. Getting to that point is difficult though, so hold your horses.

It doesn't matter if they come out with IE8 or not. YOu should code to work with Firefox and IE6. If it works in those browsers your code should be good. Once your done with coding the whole page, then you should check it in IE7 and other browsers and make sure it works.

After coding for a long time, you learn to code in such a way that even IE can't screw it up. Getting to that point is difficult though, so hold your horses.

I primarily code for FireFox on GNU/Linux, generally with a XHTML Transitional DOCTYPE. I then fix it to work in IE6, IE7, Opera and Safari. Even with validating code, there are quite often things that need fixing in IE7, and FireFox in both Windows and OS X separately. I rarely get it working the same in those 7 browsers so either make compromises on design elements or ignore the lesser used of the aforementioned browsers.

If your projects work in everything when they work in FireFox/IE6 - Am I missing something obvious that I should be doing?

I then fix it to work in IE6

I stopped supporting IE6 for the most part. I generally work on projects that require both flash and javascript. Most of these applications require that the user have the latest stable release of adobe flash player and  I then assume that they also have the latest stable version of microShaft IE. I know that there is likely to be people still using dialup and IE6 but most of my applications involve some type of streaming media and require highspeed internet access. I say that I don't support IE6 but I almost always check the first draft in all major browsers and fix any major layout problems but I wont waste alot of time working my app into an old and outdated browser. This just seems to be a real waste of time and money. I always tell my clients this and also tell them that if they want the application to appear and act exactly the same in IE6 then I will have to adjust my total bid accordingly. It can take several hours to track down a bug in IE6 and I am not going to take that time out of my profit.

The good thing with the alleged imminent release of IE8 is, I guess, that "we" no longer have to support IE6 - Our contracts contain a paragraph that explains we don't support versions of IE below v6, I guess that could be changed to v7 after the release of v8. You would imagine v8 would have higher standards compliance too. I think I might go have a read about this version 8 - I've only heard about it in this thread...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.