Math Homework

Lukela

Well this is just a statement, I am 16 years old and attending Junior in High School. I've been doing PHP for about a year, and its sooo help for me that I created a script to do my math homework for me and I am no longer failing in the homework section of math anymore. I just wanted to say this because.... its just funny for me lolx.

I think I can consider myself advance in PHP already for I created functions so dynamic and such... its just scary for me being young and doing it =) I say I spend about 2-4 hours a day working on PHP and a few sites, building a Browser-Based game with PHP and I am about to launch it within a month. Its my first and its pretty cool although, well for me lolx. Also I made about $1000 with PHP for creating this SEO Optimizer and sold the tool to this guy for $500 and the same guy bought it 2 months later for the same price. So now he said if I wanna work for him, create more SEO Optimizers and he'll pay me for each one. I build Redirectional URL's(PURLS)

NO MORE MATH HOMEWORK, WOOOHOOOO

When I was fourteen, I was an advanced TI85 programmer because I used to program it to do my math, science, physics, and chemistry homework.

I love my TI calculator. It makes maths exams so much easier! Still cant believe im actually allowed to use it.

Now, if only i could figure out a legitimate reason for needed a calculator in my psychology exam, i could stick some notes on it and i'd be sorted for that too.

When I was a kid I took a course in speed math.  It change my life.

I wrote a site with PHP to someone emulate that course.  It may seem silly, but if you stay with it, you can make a big impact in your ability to do math in your head, especially in an age when we rely on computers to do our math for us.

Here's the link if anyone cares.

http://tranquilpenguin.com/school/

Any before anyone comments... the background is dynamically created with php gd2 every time the home page reloads... sometimes it's pretty and sometimes it's pretty ugly  :P

I never finished the cosmetics, but the site works great.

I love my TI calculator. It makes maths exams so much easier! Still cant believe im actually allowed to use it.

The reason why you are allowed to use it is because CAS tools allow you to explore more math than you could possibly do with a pencil and paper - given the time a normal youth education is, which is around 3 years or so. Why waste time e.g. integrating / differentiating huge expressions when you know the concept and are able to do it given enough time?

Now I don't know where you live and educate your self, but in Denmark most classes / courses / subjects have two exams - one with aid (calculator, Maple, Mathcad ect.) and one without aid (just pencil and paper)... and sometimes oral exams too.

This way all your skills are being tested. Your ability to comprehend and solve complex problems (with aid), your ability to do basic math such as integration, solve equations (without aid) and your ability to "understand" and explain math such as constructing and understanding proofs (oral).

Above example is of course from a math course.

This is how it is done in our gymnasium (high-school I guess - 11th to 13th school year) and also to some extend in our Universities.

My comment of being allowed ot use it related more to the exams we sit. Since everybody in the country who is taking maths at A level will be taking the same exam, its probably unfair that some people (like myself) will have the aid of such a calculator - there's no doubt it makes the paper easier.

But yes, i agree - different skills should be assessed in different ways.

I can see that GingerRobot - it is unfair if some students are allowed to bring it and some are not. But I guess the "No" is simply based on some students having the calculator (because they bought it) and some students not having it (because they didn't buy it due to lack of knowledge about it or finance)?

And no hard feelings here - it's all with a smile - I'm just curious :)

But I guess the "No" is simply based on some students having the calculator (because they bought it) and some students not having it (because they didn't buy it due to lack of knowledge about it or finance)

Yep, i expect its a bit of both - lots of people don't know about them, and they are fairly expensive. Though, having said that, i expect most people who would say they are too expensive would be more than happy to spend that amount on a pair of trainers/some clothes.

Though, having said that, i expect most people who would say they are too expensive would be more than happy to spend that amount on a pair of trainers/some clothes.

Haha yeah! In Denmark you can get a TI89 for 1339 DKK (how come they don't charge 1337 DKK - As a show owner I would gladly pay 2 DKK for having that price) which is about $265 or 179 eur :)

Though, having said that, i expect most people who would say they are too expensive would be more than happy to spend that amount on a pair of trainers/some clothes.

Haha yeah! In Denmark you can get a TI89 for 1339 DKK (how come they don't charge 1337 DKK - As a show owner I would gladly pay 2 DKK for having that price) which is about $265 or 179 eur :)

That's really expensive. I got a TI 83 - sure it's not as good but I only got it for $90 and it works great!

Well our TI83 costs around 800kr which is $160 - I guess we have to pay for the shipment form US to Europe... I suspect that Texas Instruments is somehow connected to the US - or asia :P

But the difference between TI83 and TI89 is the ability to solve equations (and maybe integrate / differentiate) exact - so that's what you pay extra for :)

Well our TI83 costs around 800kr which is $160 - I guess we have to pay for the shipment form US to Europe... I suspect that Texas Instruments is somehow connected to the US - or asia :P

I think it must just be expensive in Denmark - i paid £55 for my TI84 plus, which is about $100 at the moment.

But the difference between TI83 and TI89 is the ability to solve equations (and maybe integrate / differentiate) exact - so that's what you pay extra for :)

The TI89 can do symbolic differentiation and integration?

The TI89 can do symbolic differentiation and integration?

Yes - a tidbit that I kept from my calculus teachers for as long as possible. :)

Just grab one of the many cas applications available.

Texas Instruments has a lovely program called TI Interactive which is basically a TI89 with keyboard and mouse as interface. It is not the most advanced of CAS applications, but it is really nice and easy to learn:

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_ti_interactive.html

The above link will get you a trail version of the program. Functions such as:

integrate(1/(x^3)*cos(x), x)

differentiate(1/(x^3)*cos(x), variable)

solve(1/(x^3)*sqrt(x)=25, x)

solve(1/(b^3)*sqrt(a)=25 and 2a+b=10, {a,b})

csolve(x^2-x+10=0, x) get the complex roots too

are very nice and time saving :P

Other CAS applications are for example MathCad and Maple 11.

You bring a lovely perspective to this Barand :) As soon as you said slide rule I started thinking "he is above 50, maybe 60" and then I looked and you were 58.

But I guess you didn't solve second order differential equations and stuff back then using your slide rule?

Had to do those in my head

That brings back memories.  When I was in high school, no sliderules allowed in exams: each student was issued a set of log tables (for the benefit of the less-experienced, those were not wooden constructs at which we sat)

For the sake of nostalgia my bottom drawer of my desk at the office contains

- my first "pocket" calculator. Weighs about a pound (6" x 4" x 1") and has add, subtract, multiply, divide, percent and a memory. Mains powered. Cost 3 week's wages in 1972 (thereabouts).

- a book of log, antilog and statistical tables

- a stack of punch cards.

Just to remind me of the good old days. I'm pretty sure I still have that sliderule in a drawer somewhere at home.

I guess young people now a days are just spoiled or lazy, because of course differential equations ect. were done long before the calculator existed.

Oh, I know how to do differentiation and integration (single variable only... haven't gotten to double/triple differentiation or integration yet) without a calculator - and since you have to show your steps on examinations and homework anyway, you need to know how to. The calculator comes in incredibly handy when it comes time to check your answers, though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.