So will SUN start charging for MySQL?

revraz

Personally, I'm of the opinion that MySQL will rapidly go down the tubes from here on out, although they'll maintain the dual-licensing scheme that they've got going on right now. Sun has a nasty habit of exerting too much control over their "open source" projects (see this story), and that makes developers difficult to retain. In any good open-source project, the decision-making usually goes like this: He who writes the code controls the code. But in the case of OpenOffice, Sun ultimately controls the code. I have a feeling that MySQL will go down much the same path.

But on the other hand, MySQL was already a corporate entity (MySQL AB) - maybe not much will change? I don't know for sure. All I do know is that I'm sticking with PostgreSQL. It's still Free, and it's still developed by the community - and that has value to me.

All I do know is that I'm sticking with PostgreSQL. It's still Free, and it's still developed by the community - and that has value to me.

Yeah, I haven't used MySql for anything unless I've had to for a number of years, postgreSQL is a much nicer db IMO.

Does PHP interface with it like it does MySQL?

I am thinking about trying out postgreSQL to at least fully test my database class in my PHP Framework.  I don't think i will change my primary DB from mysql tho because mysql does everything i need(but I am not a high level DBA).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.