PHP Freaks Gurus

<!-- who said we're not here for your entertainment -->

Umm, well effigy did. Just yesterday in fact :P

We're not here for entertainment. Why add more code and content for something utterly pointless? I vote to cut the fat and the frills. We already have avatars and signatures to be "less boring" anyhow.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why everybody wants to have a good title?

Eric offered me to be an admin/mod before but i declined because i know it's a responsibility.

I love being an ordinary and simple member. :D

BTW, how's eric ober? i don't see him posting here anymore.

LOL. Who gave me the interesting title LOL!

gameyin prove yourself first, just like the other mods/admin here.

Everything was great before, there is no need to change anything. I think people with more posts are more reliable and other members should see who they can trust, and who they shouldnt. 1500+ would obviously mean your a loyal member to the site, and offer good help IMO.

The ranks inspired me to make good posts and help out more to reach a newer rank. Now I feel (as Revraz Said) bored.

Well, obviously there are certain requirements that must be fulfilled. Simply wanting it (whether you express it openly or not) does not yield a promotion. It works like we have a topic in some hidden forum where members can be nominated. If enough people agree then a promotion will take place. The recommended position is not that easy to get it. That's also the reason why the last promotion to that was about half a year ago.

I could name a few people who does have a lot of posts but certainly are not good. Instead of getting inspired to get a new post count based rank you could get inspired to become a guru or even recommended.

You know my chances are slim to none, but how do you even pick Gurus? You check which topic has been mostly solved by a single person? Maybe that person isn't as experienced as you might think. You know GOOGLE is pretty much where you can find 98% of the answers to most topics right? that "GURU" can maybe good at searching for the answers, rather than solving it himself. You guys should pick GURUS based on Skills, Knowledge, and Maybe a little Quiz.

whether someone gets all their answers via Googling for them or all their information via Wikipedia, makes no difference to me personally. The question gets answered all the same and it's still very helpful to have someone give you a hand researching something.

So basically - as long as someone is helpful and sticks to the rules, they stand out with those that actually vote. Doesn't guarantee a position or anything but it gets a discussion.

Listen - main thing to remember is that whatever we do, there's always gonna be those that don't like it. The main site isn't launched yet - but I know some wont like it even before people have even had a sniff. It's just the way it works, so lets agree to disagree and say that this is the way we are doing things right now and this is how it's gonna stay for the forseeable.

I am simply applying that you guys should create something else to inspire members to contribute to the site, and to post more. You guys also took down the competitions too, you could have just left it! Let the members post their own competitions and have others join/leave them.

edit: We don't need prizes either, just competing can gain reputation, thus the more rep, the easier for you guys to choose another "guru", or promote someone.

Let the members post their own competitions and have others join/leave them.

I agree with this, looking at these, is how I tought myself, I am not good at thinking of things, but when ideas come up, I may be interested in trying to make them and so work at making it.  It is a way for me to get more in depth with programming.

Ohhh never saw this thread ;p.

Anyway, glad to be one of the first Gurus ;p.

I must agree with the earlier discussion of post count != intelligence.  I can think of atleast 2 people who have a ton of posts, but sometimes they post answers and I almost laugh out loud.

Anyways, if you take up this suggestion into consideration then do the following:

- Competition Section.   

User posts a competition that needs to be confirmed by a moderator or administrator. It will be reviewed, then confirmed or denied.

Can offer a prize or just for fun/reputation, either way its good.

Only registered members can see the forum (so people don't steal the codes).

I would also like to add that this way, we don't need one Thread that everyone will post suggestions in. If a bunch of people like someones idea, but the moderators or other members don't, then creating our own competitions would be efficient and fun.

I've seen tons of great ideas that were formed on the suggestion thread for comps, but most of them ignored.

To be honest, i dont think there would be a lot of point in having people creating their own competitions. If there were more than one people run I dont think people would actually bother to enter. And those that did would more than likely not produce anything decent.

That said, I would like to see the competition idea back.

To be honest, i dont think there would be a lot of point in having people creating their own competitions. If there were more than one people run I dont think people would actually bother to enter. And those that did would more than likely not produce anything decent.

Thats why mods would confirm/deny the competition if they didn't think anyone would join! The Admins & Mods should really stop doing whats in their best interest and start taking decisions that the community should take a say in. This is why its called a community, and honestly most of the decisions were good for the bigger parts of the site, but small things like COMPS is what makes things fun, challenging and exciting round here. The ranks were also pretty good too, meaning we are getting titled for our contribution to the site.

C'mon! Bring up the hype or something...

The ranks were also pretty good too, meaning we are getting titled for our contribution to the site.

You still get titled, but only for expertise and providing valuable help or insights. Not for asking simple questions, even though asking questions is contributing too. Let's just leave it at that, I don't want this thread to get ugly (and locked).

The competition thing is at a halt because it takes time to organize and manage a competition. The current staff can hardly find the time to build the main site (bar one Daniel0), which is more pressing. I too would like to see the competitions back. Maybe the fresh blood in the ranks (the newly appointed Gurus) can take the initiative in organizing the next competition (please use the private staff boards).

A competition is only "fun" if it's run properly and there are some objective criteria based upon which a winner is selected... in the past, these judges were the mods/admins.  It would be difficult to have random members judging, unless there was a pre-selected panel (maybe Gurus/PFRs).  Either way, the point is that it takes time & effort.  And for those of us with real-life responsiblities, it's simply not always feasible to take on too many extras hours of forum work above that which we already have.

The Admins & Mods should really stop doing whats in their best interest and start taking decisions that the community should take a say in.

I doubt that many others would echo this sentiment.

The purpose of this thread was to announce the new Guru status, not to have it up for debate.  As always, members are welcome to give their opinions & suggestions, but the decision to remove post-based ranks and replace it with a designation has been made, and is not up for debate at this point.  The new designations were simply designed to make it easier to rely on someone's experience and expertise, nothing more.  This was not taking a shot at the other members, who contribute in a positive fashion every hour of every day.

Besides, the true spirit of a community is to contribute to the greater good -- if you need kudos, 26 stars or an arbitrary title to motivate you, that's not really in the spirit of community either.  There's nothing wrong with being rewarded, but it's not a reward if you're expecting it.  Just my $0.02 -- and FWIW, I speak for myself, not the entire mod team (unless they happen to agree).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.