buying a laptop... (help!)

acidglitter

well asus makes some cool laptops... but really idont like laptops there batterys are really only good for 1/2 to 1 year (if your lucky 2)

and they run hot and you cant upgrade them. but if this is just for work or pc on the go you can get a cheap one from dell also i would put unix on it but your not me so xp if its for work(xp is great for laptops) vista if its just for you. oh and vista looks a little more sexy than xp.

TheFilmGod: Not being sold != not being supported.

acidglitter: I've had a Dell Inspiron 600m for two years, and the previous owner had it for the same amount of time. In those two years, it has become one of my favorite machines. I think they've superseded it with the 640m, but I would gladly buy another one. It's portable enough to take to school, powerful enough to play foobillard and play movies, and the 1440x1050 resolution means that you don't really lose any screen real estate. (You can't exactly read it from across the room.) I've had to do a few upgrades/repairs:

Hard drive: 40GB to 80GB. About $100, IIRC.

DVD drive: it came with a DVD reader/CD burner, but I wanted a DVD burner. $60.

New display: After about two years, the display stopped working. After spending $10 on a replacement inverter board that wasn't the problem, a $75 display fixed it.

And Dell publishes their service manuals on their website, so any warranty-voiding you may want to do is a lot less stressful.

A few other tidbits:

It does, from time to time, get warm, but I've found that putting hockey pucks under the corners allows for better airflow.

The display hinge can act up if it wants to - every once in a while, the screen gets interlaced with pink lines. Adjusting the display fixes it.

TheFilmGod: Not being sold != not being supported.

I clearly understand that. But why should he get an XP when they are going to stop selling them anyway?

There is a reason why they are going to stop selling them. It's because an upgraded and better version of XP has already come out, and it's a Vista.

thanks for the advice. i think a Dell Inspiron was actually one of the computers i had been thinking about getting. i'll be gone half of next month on a trip and i can't go more than a couple days without updating my sites so thats why i'm getting a laptop. i can't decide yet though if i want just a cheap one for while i'm away from home or if i want to replace the one i have now. because the one i have now is like from 2002.

There is a reason why they are going to stop selling them. It's because an upgraded and better version of XP has already come out, and it's a Vista.

I could argue that the reason they are going to stop selling XP is that they make more money from Vista. (And the "upgraded and better" part is up for discussion, too.)

I could argue that the reason they are going to stop selling XP is that they make more money from Vista. (And the "upgraded and better" part is up for discussion, too.)

i second this opinion.  in my experience, vista has sucked extremely bad.  slow performance, and nothing much different from xp other than it is pretty.  also, just a side note, microsoft has extended the support period for xp and has already announced development of a new windows platform.  makes you wonder if they are trying to sweep vista under the rug.....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.