Domain selling companies

How the hell do they get away with charging 3K+ for a domain name? Hell, is this shit even legal? Shouldn't these people locked up, shot on sight or something?

</commie rant>

But seriously, why is this legal?

Well it is basically a supply and demand thing. They have the domain and and we don't. If a person wants the domain bad enough they will pay for it. I sold a domain a few years ago for a lot more than $3k. I only did that because I knew they had the money and knew they would pay for it.

I know it's a supply and demand thing (i.e. the foundation of capitalism), but it doesn't feel quite right. Maybe I'm just not much of a capitalist. Scrap that, I KNOW I'm not much of a capitalist..

I got a better one for you: why is it legal to do this kind of thing to the "little guys," but all those big companies like walmart.com etc.. got to just take their domain names from the people who held them, without having to pay?

Anyone can do that, provided they have valid claim. I could make a claim if somebody else owned a domain directly associated with my company or product name (that I've had before they registered the domain). I think.

I would imagine that you would have to have a pre-existing worldwide trademark on the brand name and the website would have to be considered an infringement on that trademark. Though i'm lawyer, so i could be wrong.

Alternatively, hire a load of heavys :P

Domain names are a whole business within themselves. People make a living out of buying good domain names, and then selling them on. There a numerous forums dedicated to the subject too.

It can be frustrating, I tried buying the .com version of a .co.uk domain I own for a start-up I'm working on - It's not even an actual word from the dictionary or anything industry related; it's a made-up word and they're not accepting anything less than $5,000 for it! They only registered it a few months ago too...

I don't remember where I heard this, but Microsoft antecedently forgot to pay for one of their domains, and some other guy bought it. Microsoft contacted him to buy it back, and he was nice enough to hand it back over to them free, or with very little charge, such as the price he paid for it.

I don't remember where I heard this, but Microsoft antecedently forgot to pay for one of their domains, and some other guy bought it. Microsoft contacted him to buy it back, and he was nice enough to hand it back over to them free, or with very little charge, such as the price he paid for it.

That guy is a dumba$$. Seriously, I would make microsoft pay at least 2 million for that domain.

Microsoft, only makes like over 50 billion each year....  :D

not quite that harsh. basically they persuaded him to hand it over and in return gave him some little bits and pieces.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01/26/mike_rowe_goes_soft_hands/

apparently as part of the settlement, we have the following PR information: it has invited and will pay all expenses for Mark and his family to go the Microsoft campus in March for the Research Tech Fest. He could meet Bill Gates! But no promises.

It will pay for Mike to get Microsoft Certification training! This could mean he come a support technician, or system administrator! It has paid for his subscription to MSDN, Microsoft's developer network site! And, last but not least, it will give Mike a free Xbox with whatever games he wants!

personally I reckon he didn't stand his ground nearly enough, especially as (in his case) he had a legitimate reason (or could have) for owning that particular name. He could have got more than a bloody Xbox....

Didnt Microsoft take dude to court for copyright infringement, as he owned "mikerowesoft.com" ?

This isn't the same guy as who I was talking about.

I was saying Microsoft forgot to pay for one of their domains... for example: http://hotmail.com (probably not this domain). Someone on the internet found that the domain wasn't registered, and bought it. Microsoft then realized that they forgot to renew the domain, and then found that someone else bought it, so they did what ever they had to, to get it back, and I heard that he basically gave it back for nothing or the price of what he bought the domain for.

• 2 weeks later...

I have over 200 domains and have let a bunch go back. On average I get 4 or 5 emails a week like the following

Hi,

I own the .COM version of your domain name vetcompcenter.biz and I want to sell it.

I was wondering if you would be interested in buying this domain for $195 seeing as though you own the same domain but in another extension ?

Let me know

Thanks

Shawn.

My response is almost always the same

Man you guys make me sick. You get a domain for $9, that I let go back, and then try to sell it for $200. You must think I am some kind of idiot. Why the hell would I pay more than $9? So, to answer your question, no I do not want it and I do not want any further emails from you. Any more will be reported as spam. Oh, btw, get a real job you jackass!

Guest Xanza

It's perfectly reasonable to sell a domain name (for an active domain) for a high price - especially if the website is switching owners. Think about it, there traffic will end up coming to your website - so in the long run, your not just buying a domain name, you're also paying for the probable hits.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.