Legal issues with linking to google maps!My Boss is driving me mad!

scotchegg78

Guys

I am linking a directory of businesses on a website to google( someone can click a link to a map and it takes them to google).

Simplly using a link to for example http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=w1a+1aa where q = the company postcode.

Anyway I can not for the life of me see why this would not be ok to do, and my boss is driving me mad worrying its not allowed, and google could object to it? I am right am I not, and its fine and she is just been annoying right?? I can not find the information (needle) in the google website (haystack)

thanks for any information

:)

Thanks for the info guys, I am looking on the google page today and trying to make sense of the terms jargon!

She is doing me HEAD IN today!

I sent her the links and she is kicking off that its not clear and I should not just link to google without their permission.

No matter how hard I try to explain to her that google want people to use their site, and we are not even using the API but just linking to the maps and sending users over to google so they would have no issue with it at all, infact they are happoy as larry as they gain users!

Tell her to take a look at this http://www.nads.org.uk/clubs.php

This is a website I developed to promote the disabled facilities of football (soccer) clubs in the UK.

Click on any of the clubs and then click the Getting There link near the top. i.e.

http://www.nads.org.uk/portsmouth-fc/fratton-park/location/32.html

http://www.nads.org.uk/arsenal/emirates-stadium/location/2.html

This uses the Google API and they know exactly how much usage we have of the maps because the key they give you works only on the specified domain. We have 0 issues with any websites using maps.

Tell her to ask Google or her lawyer(s) if she cannot understand the legal terms...

Exactly.  She's an idiot for basing her decision on her own ignorance of the terms Google has and her resulting fears of potential legal action.  Not exactly high-level managing there....

OK, if she really is having that hard of a time understanding the EULA, here is the only line that pertains to business users:

For business users, Google Maps is made available for your internal use only and may not be commercially redistributed, except that map data may be accessed and displayed by using the Google Maps API pursuant to the API terms and conditions.

Notice that when the users get to Google Maps, they are considered individual users at that point, and they are bound by the EULA, not your business. Linking to the maps is like linking to an interesting article on a blog or news site: you are providing them with inbound traffic.

and if that isn't clear enough for her, explain that you get paid $xx.xx an hour and a lawyer gets at least 3 numbers before the decimal...

seriously, if people want legal advise, contact a legal adviser person...thing...

i run into this all day at work...is this taxable? how much? tell me how to calculate this...i get $10 an hour and they want to get free info from me about something that a tax professional gets $100 an hour for. blech!!! 

***fumes for a while and then forgets what was being discussed***

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.