My friend's site got hacked... can we catch them?

O

My friend's site got hacked, and all we have is an IP address of the hacker.  What are the chances we can catch them?  What recourse do we have?  What is the likelihood of being able to take some type of law enforcement/legal action?  How does one report this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance!

Well you could do a lot.  But to tell you the truth, the IP you have probably isn't from where he lives.  But I'm not very good at tracing these kinds of things.  This is really in the wrong section or forum for the matter...

legal action?  ;D

That's funny. You can't take any legal actions, especially if it is international. Moreover, you wouldn't have the evidence to prove that it actually was him, or what not. And even then, no one really cares.

As bad as this all may have turned out, your frfiend should have learned a valuable lesson! Create a more secure website!

depending on each countries laws hacking laws arent near international plus if its a minor site it cant be done myspace things of that size have the money to try international lawsuits.. but pending each countries laws it may not have even been a crime in the country the hacker is located in.

So you're saying that if I stand on X's side at the border of country X and Y and shoot at someone who is standing at Y's side then I'm all good because it's an international matter?

These are not the same.  International cyber law is still in the process.  There have been plenty of cases of international hackers where the U.S. could not do anything because there isn't cyber law where this hacker resides. 

I think it depends what country they reside in because if they don't have cyber laws then what are they going to charge them with?  I don't know where O's friend lives but in the US, if my memory serves me, the international cyber law is still in the making and is not official.  I could be wrong, but almost certain.

@O

Read this: Reporting Computer, Internet-Related, or Intellectual Property Crime

May I ask, how did this person hack your friends site, and what did (s)he do?

So you're saying that if I stand on X's side at the border of country X and Y and shoot at someone who is standing at Y's side then I'm all good because it's an international matter?

You could have a site in some country where they aren't as strict on internet sites, where you could have a site that has thousands (maybe millions) of full length copy written videos free to download, and the U.S. can't do a thing to that site, only the down loader (if he/she resides in the U.S.).

You could have a site in some country where they aren't as strict on internet sites, where you could have a site that has thousands (maybe millions) of full length copy written videos free to download, and the U.S. can't do a thing to that site, only the down loader (if he/she resides in the U.S.).

Indeed, but the opposite can be true as well: The other country has equally strict laws and its government will comply with the request of foreign companies/governments to shutdown the site.

Again, my point was that things are not inherently unresolvable just because it happens across borders. Without sufficient information it's not possible to tell.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.