Need storge

asmith

Hey guys

I'm making a game site, which I have to save so many game replays on the site available for everyone to download anytime they want.

the game replays can start from 200 kb to 1mb.

each day I can have minimum 3 mb to save up to 25 mb save. with the 3 gb disk space i have. I will be run over soon. so matter how I try to have bigger storge , If I get 10 gb,  I will run out of it soon.

Is there ANY way I could solve such problem?

Any idea would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

it is not a popular format, only the game itself can run such file. if you don't have the game, file is unknown on your system.

buying 1 tb space sounds fine. I gotta ask my administrator how much i gotta pay him for that.

I don't know about the Amazon's S3 or Softlayer's CDN. Will google them.

I tried to zip one file with  :

$file = 'the_file.ext';
exec("zip -9 the_file.zip $file");

but almost nothing changed in size :)

Do what dropfaith said.  I would also recommend getting more space, 3gb is nothing.  You can get 1tb of storage for under $100.  That would give you space to archive the old stuff rather than delete it. 

I have not contact my site admin. But I read in their site:

additional disk space per 1,000 mb

£3 per month

Buying a tb disk space is different than that billing term ?

Something special I must told them?

Do what dropfaith said.  I would also recommend getting more space, 3gb is nothing.  You can get 1tb of storage for under $100.  That would give you space to archive the old stuff rather than delete it. 

I have not contact my site admin. But I read in their site:

additional disk space per 1,000 mb

£3 per month

Buying a tb disk space is different than that billing term ?

Something special I must told them?

Lol... FYI, that'll be £3,000/month for 1 TB.

If you have that kind of money to spend on that then I won't mind if you send me some as well :)

That's probably for buying a hard disk yourself. However, a branch of the company that owns my VPS provider can give you a dedicated server with 4*500 GB for £130/month (along with 3.5 TB bandwidth, 2 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo E4500, 5 IPs). I can't vouch for their dedicated servers or managed VPS, but I'm pretty satisfied with the part of their company selling unmanaged VPS.

ATM I'm working on a dedicate server (not my site), and I run 2 personal sites (shared servers).

This site i want to make, is already in a share. and i don't think i need having the root access. But I can have all those features for 6-7$ per month ????

I'm paying for a shared server, 3 GB storage for about 50$/3 months and the site has ultimate 24/7 support.

the servage is claiming 510 GB for about 20$ / 3 months. That's not even comparable , Or am i wrong and so noob on this ? 

Yeah root access is always good.  I've never had it on any webserver I've owned so it probably doesn't bother me not to have but

it probably would seeing has there is all that space and nothing to do with it but upload.  Usually I'd expect a dedicated server to come with root acces.  I've never seen a typical hosting site provide it though

Great pricing though! you can't beat $180/(2 years and 5 months)

the servage is claiming 510 GB for about 20$ / 3 months.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. It says that if you pay for three months at a time then you'll pay 49 DKK/month. 49 DKK = 9 USD so that gives 27 USD for three months.

Also, did you read what their pages said? They said it was possible to provide that because they expect that people are not using it. That sounds pretty ridiculous to me. You should always expect that people use what they pay for... That means you shouldn't sell the same thing twice (which they imply they do). It's like when travel agencies double book plane tickets because they expect a certain portion of the customers cancel. When all of the customers then actually show up at airport check-in they're screwed because they've been overselling.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.