top things heard in a call center

ardyandkari

---I dont want to give you the last four digits of my SSN, this isn't a secure line!

<<ok, even though i am looking at your ssn right now, and there is a 1/100000 chance of me guessing the first 5 digits anyways>>

---I cant find your website!

<<more than likely the caller has typed the web address into google...>>

---Is this settlement check taxable?  (or any slew of tax questions)

<<i am getting paid $10 an hour...do you think that i (a)know the answer to or (b)want to answer questions for that amount that another guy who went to school for that will get paid $50-100 an hour for? NO!>>

i am sure that i can come up w/ more, but it's the weekend...lets see what happens on monday...

Call Center Person: "Yes, right-click on your desktop."

Caller: "Yes, I did that. Nothing happened."

Call Center Person: "Are you sure? A menu should have popped up."

Caller: "No, nothing happened. There are no menus."

Call Center Person: "Did you right-click?"

Caller: "Yes, I wrote click on the screen."

:P

A guy bought a laptop.  Then calls me.

Guy:  I need you to program this laptop I just bought.

Me:  What's going on with it?

Guy:  The program is expired

Me:  Which program?

Guy:  I don't know

Effortless job security it seems.

A guy bought a laptop.  Then calls me.

Guy:  I need you to program this laptop I just bought.

Me:  What's going on with it?

Guy:  The program is expired

Me:  Which program?

Guy:  I don't know

Effortless job security it seems.

I would have laughed really hard if that happened, along with that story about the "right-click" thing.  That made my day.

Caller: "What bus do I get on to get there?"

My Head: "Do I look like a bus depot?"

Me: "Call the bus company."

Caller: "Is there a bus that will take me there?"

Me: "Your going to have to call the bus company."

I have also helped people set up an email account, and they need to create a password that is 6 - 8 characters long with numbers AND letters, but for some reason they type in a 4 digit string of letter with no numbers.

Me: OMG, I just told you exactly what the specifications for your password are, and you still got it wrong.

Another fun thing, instead of taking a call, is helping some one with Microsoft Word!

Person: "How do I save?"

Me: "Click on File then Save..."

Person: "This one?"

Me: "No that is View"

Person: "This?"

Me: "No That is Edit, it is the one to the left"

Person: "This one?"

Me: "No that is the Print button (tool bar)"

Finally the person gets to the save point, and saves. Next they want to go through the process again so they can write it down to remember for next time...

Me: Thank you for calling the Geek Squad, how can I help you?

Cust:  Yes, is this the Geek Squad?

Me: YES.  How can I help you.

Cust: Are you a Geek?

Me: Sure, now how can I help you?

Cust:  Do you work on computers?

Me: YES.  What is the problem you are having???

Cust:  I can't get my computer to turn on?

Me:  Is it a desktop or a laptop?

Cust: It is a Gateway.

Me: Okay, but is it a desktop or a laptop? Is it a big computer or one you can carry?

Cust:  It fits in my bag and i can carry it.

Me:  Did you try to plug it in?

Cust:  The guy at the store said it was wireless.

Me:  Yes, the computer is capable of picking up wireless internet.  Did you plug in the computer to the power outlet?

Cust:  No, the guy said I could take it everywhere with me.

Me:  Yes, but it has a battery that needs charged when it dies.

Cust: I didn't get a charger for the battery.

Me:  Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to call Gateway because it sounds like an issue on their end.

Cust: Okay, thank you.

EDIT:

We call this an I-d-ten-t error, or id10t error :P

Me: Okay, but is it a desktop or a laptop? Is it a big computer or one you can carry?

Me:  Yes, the computer is capable of picking up wireless internet.  Did you plug in the computer to the power outlet?

Me:  Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to call Gateway because it sounds like an issue on their end.

EDIT:

I swear that I could not handle that job, for reasons like this.  And I lol'd at the id10t error thing.

EDIT:

I swear that I could not handle that job, for reasons like this.  And I lol'd at the id10t error thing.

We actually say that in front of customers.  I just know one of these days we'll get caught, but oh well. 

Some times I hate the "Geek Squad", because some times they are the ID10T.

My cousin used to work at Best Buy, and when the "Geek Squad" didn't know something they just told the person that their part was bad and they need to buy a new one.

There was this time, they told me that "Windows XP" only supports 2GB of RAM and not all of it will show... I disagreed and said it will support at least 3-3.5 and they still said it would only support 2GB in my head I laughed and said ID10T... My current "Windows XP" has 4GB of RAM (only 3GB shows up though).

Some times I hate the "Geek Squad", because some times they are the ID10T.

My cousin used to work at Best Buy, and when the "Geek Squad" didn't know something they just told the person that their part was bad and they need to buy a new one.

There was this time, they told me that "Windows XP" only supports 2GB of RAM and not all of it will show... I disagreed and said it will support at least 3-3.5 and they still said it would only support 2GB in my head I laughed and said ID10T... My current "Windows XP" has 4GB of RAM (only 3GB shows up though).

Technically speaking, there was a time that Windows XP would not see beyond 2GB (back in the old DDR days and before SP1). You may not remember it, I don't know how old you are.  13? 14?  Anyways,  the information is out there.

Did your cousin work at Best Buy or at Geek Squad?  If he worked with Best Buy, aka if he was a Blue Shirt, then I would be inclined to believe your cousin didn't know what he was talking about because most people that see Geek Squad from the outside don't truly appreciate the work we do or understand half of what we tell customers.  If he worked for Geek Squad either he was wrong still, or whoever was in charge of his Precient didn't know what the hell he was doing. 

Technically speaking, there was a time that Windows XP would not see beyond 2GB (back in the old DDR days and before SP1). You may not remember it, I don't know how old you are.  13? 14?  Anyways,  the information is out there.

This was only like 2-3 months ago, and my computer uses DDR (not sure of the service pack, probably SP2)

I work with a bunch of IT Techs, and they feel the "Geek Squad" doesn't know... Shit(sorry). I do say, that the do have info at times though.

The quality of geek squad probably depends on your location.  Some may have good knowledgeable techs where others may have clueless, somehow degreed techs, it happens.  The location in my city, in my opinion, is useless.  The geek squad here (not just best buy) RECOMMENDS webroot.

It's not The Geek Squad I dislike, it's more their screening process and prices.  I don't understand why they charge what they charge, it seems more like a trick into making everyone think because it costs more it's better service.  You can only replace a motherboard 'so good'.

</rant>

Well, lets see.  Geek Squad charges 130 dollars to reload your OS and find all your drivers, do the windows updates, and remove free trial software.  If I were to do that I'd charge way way more.  The problem with people these days is they think it should all be for free, unless their doing the work then they don't care.  We can't give away free service because we ARE running a business. Honestly, if Geek Squad charged any less for services I probably wouldn't work there. Mainly because they wouldn't be able to afford me.  When I do work for people on the side I charge way more than our prices, but I'm also a tech with a degree.

Well, lets see.  Geek Squad charges 130 dollars to reload your OS and find all your drivers, do the windows updates, and remove free trial software.  If I were to do that I'd charge way way more.  The problem with people these days is they think it should all be for free, unless their doing the work then they don't care.  We can't give away free service because we ARE running a business. Honestly, if Geek Squad charged any less for services I probably wouldn't work there. Mainly because they wouldn't be able to afford me.  When I do work for people on the side I charge way more than our prices, but I'm also a tech with a degree.

i agree...if i were a licensed tech, i would charge a lot more than that.  doing all that can take time.  if you have a problem with geek squad's prices, dont use them!

my beef is with best buy itself.  whenever i go in i feel like i am going to have my leg humped by every csr there!  i dont know if they get paid commission, but it sure feels like it!  granted it is nice to have people around who will answer questions, but let me ask...dont come up every 2 minutes and ask if i have any questions.

ok...back to the topic at hand...

me:  can i have you verify the last 4 of your ssn?

caller:  this isnt a secure line, so i will give you them backwards.

<<i smash my head on my desk and want to commit seppuku>>

how about this:

me:  if we have any questions about your claim form we will contact you by mail.

caller:  so i am getting a check soon?

me:  no, (repeat previous statement).

caller:  so...i'm not getting anything?

me:  no, (repeat previous statement).

caller:  you people dont make sense!  you just keep repeating the same thing!  whats wrong with you?!?! <<start 10 minute rant>>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.