Ps3 vs Xbox 360

Emily0415

Which one has better Graphics and why do you think so? I think the 360's textures and lighting are better, but the PS3 has better draw distance and anisotropic filtering.

I own both.  In terms of graphics, they're pretty even.  I haven't seen anything from one that makes me think it's vastly superior to the other.

For online play, the Xbox is superior.  Unfortunately, you need to pay $50 a year for an Xbox Live Gold account in order to play online.  The Xbox also requires one to use their proprietary currency in order to buy things through the online store.  I believe 80 XBL Points = $1.  Finally, you'll also need to purchase a separate wireless internet adapter if you plan on playing online in a room without an internet connection.

The PS3 comes with built-in wireless internet capabilities, and the PlayStation Network is free.  Purchasing things through the store is done with cash instead of a proprietary currency with a wacky exchange rate.  Those are all big positives in my book.

Everything else boils down to their respective libraries.  The Playstation 3 is only now getting its legs.  Resistance, Warhawk, Uncharted, MGS4, and the soon-to-be-released LittleBigPlanet are the core apps.  For the Xbox, I'd say Gears of War, the upcoming Gears of War 2,Halo 3, and Mass Effect are the big titles to date.  Most of the rest are on both platforms.

Is the online play still shoddy on ps3? Absolutely terrible when i tried it a while back on my ps2.

It's actually pretty damn solid, at least, with the few games I've tried.  The biggest flaw is the lack of any kind of lobby for any of the games.  You're either playing online or not.

This flaw is most notable with Soul Calibur IV.  It takes forever to find a ranked match without lag.  It's horrible sitting there for 10 minutes refreshing the list of available games, only to actually play for ~1:30.  Although, that could just be a Namco thing.  Their online capabilities for Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection are pretty shoddy as well.

In the cases of Warhawk, Resistance, and GTA: IV, I haven't had many issues.  A few disconnects and freezes, but it's a rarity.  I've owned my PS3 since launch, and those issues have come up maybe 10 times total in two years.

The PS3 really needs to focus more on the social aspect of online gaming.  It's nice that they've introduced Trophies (similar to XBL's Achievements) and their own brand of gamer cards (which take forever to load and display), but there's nothing beyond that, really.  Their Home project is supposed to remedy that, but I'm not confident that it'll actually see the light of day anytime soon.  It's been in beta forever, with very little forward progress from what I can see.  Which is a shame, too, because Warhawk is supposed to have its own war-room, complete with a big table with virtual miniatures so you can plan various attack strategies.

The PlayStation Network is great considering it's free.  The store is pretty good, too.  It has a much better layout than the XBL Store, but it's severely lacking in 3rd party support, especially when it comes to classic PS1 games.  I would love to purchase a new copy of Vagrant Story, for example, but the pickings are slim.  The best PS1 game currently available is probably Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Gotta love the various themes/skins available, though.  There's a ton out there, all for free.

Metal Gear Solid... /thread

I could never get into the MGS series.  It's too schitzo for my tastes.  I never liked how it oscillated between being incredibly detailed and realistic to being way, way, way over the top and convoluted like really pretentious anime.  And this is coming from someone who enjoyed Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Free online play.....paid online play....required expansion for HD (which is now dead technology)......integrated blue-ray that outstrips most other standalone blue-ray players....backwards capabilities with your old ps games (PS3 has a upgrade for like $20 that allows it if you didn't get an original 80gb ps3)....not being able to play your old ps games...

That is how I see it.  I can't stand to pay for something that should be free.  PS3 online play is amazing, and Resistance ranks there with Halo.  Not to mention they also have COD4.  The blue-ray player is AMAZING.  Hi-Def games are just to good to pass up.  It also doubles as a media server!  I upgraded my HDD to a 1TB laptop sata drive and I store all my music, movies, pictures, etc.  on there.

X-BOX 360.  I had to buy and expansion for HD quality.  I had to pay for online play.  I couldn't play my past PS games on it (I've always been a PS fan).  Can you say,  Red Ring of Death (RRD)?  Yeah, and M$ will refund your money for the 360 but then you get stuck with all the games and the expansion HD drive.  So I had to sell those on E-Bay.

The only really thing that the X-Box has above the PS3 is its legions of die-hard fans who are too busy hating Sony to weigh up the options properly. That and the fact that it has far more games available for it. To be honest. Both are just as enjoyable to play. Both look good and both play well.

I love Xbox 360, much prefer it to the PS3, only because I am a fan. Yet I admit, the PS3 has more power, and is much more capable. I understand that, and accept it. Doesn't mean I'm going to buy it. I don't mind paying for Live, when it's so freakin' awesome. I just wish Australia had all the features that the States have.

All in all, 360 has a better games shelf then the PS3, and more exclusives too I would think. It seems a lot of developers are pulling from the PS3 and releasing their games for the 360.

But what is selling more? The Wii. :P Everyone loves the Wii, except me. :)

i can fly a real helicopter or a real jet fighter or control a droid with a 360 controller, u cant do crap all with a ps3 controller ooohhh wow its got tilt, the games are all gona be crap cos there made by asians im an asian so i know thety will be about gay stuff cos they think that sorta stuff is fun like mario and pokemon lol. I just wana be a soldir yet stay safe and use all the artilary.

gay stuff cos they think that sorta stuff is fun like mario and pokemon

Isn't Mario Nintendo or am I just getting too old for this stuff!

No, you're right.  Mario is Nintendo's most recognizable franchise.  Pokemon, as the poster above you mentioned, is also Nintendo property.

gay stuff cos they think that sorta stuff is fun like mario and pokemon

Isn't Mario Nintendo or am I just getting too old for this stuff!

No, you're right.  Mario is Nintendo's most recognizable franchise.  Pokemon, as the poster above you mentioned, is also Nintendo property.

That person was talking about how Asian's find that stuff fun.

@cgm225: Halo is awesome, still is. But Gears is pretty darn awesome too.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.