[SOLVED] More visible TOPIC SOLVED button

Maq

Maybe this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find a recent thread for this.  The TOPIC SOLVED button should be bigger.  There are many topics that should be labeled SOLVED that aren't.  So people trying to help, are wasting their time and reading already solved topics.  My suggestion would be to have it at the top in a visible spot, instead of hiding at the bottom of the page.  Also maybe a little icon and something that explains what to do since people can't figure it out.

Are you seriously suggesting an icon to explain what the "Topic Solved" button means and how to push it?  If people don't understand how to push that button, what makes you think they'll understand how to push that icon?  Or, if they can't figure out what "Topic Solved" means, they probably won't be in a position to be having their problem solved in the first place. 

I have a sneaking suspicion most people don't click it because they don't care.  I'm sure there are some that simply don't see it, but unless we have a big flashing thing popping up every time they enter the thread, I really don't see the amount of topics being marked going up, regardless of where we put the button.

All that aside...what's with this rash of requests to alter mods?  You guys need to go to the smf community to make these suggestions.  We're just some random place that uses smf and some mods.  We aren't the ones who make them.

Are you seriously suggesting an icon to explain what the "Topic Solved" button means and how to push it?  If people don't understand how to push that button, what makes you think they'll understand how to push that icon? 

Yes, a little icon next to the button that says TOPIC SOLVED, but my main point was that it should be towards the top in a more visible position.

Considering there is a sticky topic instructing people about it and there usually are other solved topics with green background, a prefix, and an icon, I'd say it's pretty obvious that a such button exists.

Besides, the other moderation buttons are at the bottom as well.

Considering there is a sticky topic instructing people about it and there usually are other solved topics with green background, a prefix, and an icon, I'd say it's pretty obvious that a such button exists.

Trust me, I understand what you're saying and I agree with you guys.  The fact remains that a lot of solved topics still remain in the forums.  Not because people don't understand what TOPIC SOLVED means, but because they can't find it.  For example Example 1 and Example 2.  So people that are reading solved topics could be helping someone that actually needs help. 

It was just a suggestion I thought I'd bring to you guys.

So you did some kind of "topic solved" search to see what you could come up with, and all you came up with was two threads: one from 4 months ago and the other from a year and a half ago...considering we are currently averaging about 150 topics, 750 posts a day, I really don't see the problem. 

I do agree with you that a fair amount of solved topics do not get the solved topic tag, but again, I really don't think that has anything to do with people not being able to find the button.  IMO most people simply don't bother.  Or when they have a question, they post it on several boards.  First one to post gets the "Thank you" or the "Solved" or the whatever else, if anything at all, and poster usually doesn't bother responding in any subsequent board's thread.  Evidence of this hypothesis can be seen in the many "Wow, you guys are always the fastest to respond," or "Thx anyways, I already got an answer on xyz board," posts.

So you did some kind of "topic solved" search to see what you could come up with, and all you came up with was two threads: one from 4 months ago and the other from a year and a half ago...considering we are currently averaging about 150 topics, 750 posts a day, I really don't see the problem.

I haven't been here that long but from what the description seems like the button has been in the same spot for quite a long time, so what's the difference of how old these threads are?

I do agree with you that a fair amount of solved topics do not get the solved topic tag, but again, I really don't think that has anything to do with people not being able to find the button.

Again, it was just a suggestion and obviously it's not favorable.  :P

I haven't been here that long but from what the description seems like the button has been in the same spot for quite a long time, so what's the difference of how old these threads are?

Right: it hasn't really changed.  But that wasn't the point.  If anything, the fact that the button hasn't changed argues against you.  The point is, out of all the threads and posts that have been/are being generated, you came up with one old and one very old example. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.