MyBB instead of SMF?

Imad

And like has been mentioned already, the Db is too large, the only way I can think of to actually make a change to something else is to....*grits teeth* make a Backup Database into (x) Format Mod

x being...a pretty basic format, with just the text and such, a few id columns, the users

Most forums have got conversion scripts that will assist you in migrating. Also with large databases. Obviously larger databases require more time to convert though.

One major gripe I have with SMF is that from an administrator's perspective I find it difficult to use. I always spend a lot of time searching through the admin panel for the things I need. I don't think it's very intuitive or easy to navigate at all. For instance, I once couldn't figure out how to delete a group so I gave up and jumped into the MySQL console to delete it. A couple of months later I found out that in order to delete something in SMF you actually have to edit it. How retarded is that?

Most regular users don't really care what we use because the basic functionality is virtually consistent across all forum software. They can view topics, post replies and topics and that's about it. The majority of the features in a forum often lie on the management part.

Edit: Fixed bbcodes.

I'm not trying to actually. :P I just think that the easier to use forum software and some nice features will gain more members and traffic. I'm just thinking about the community. :D

You say that like you think we don't have enough users or traffic... we average around 300 people online at any given time... for a programming community mainly focused on one language, that's not bad. 

And Daniel, I said the same thing about SMF and the admincp when I started using it.  And I'll agree there are definite quirks to it but I still think it's better than VB.

I've always been a fan of phpbb, but that's just me.  From the user (non-mod/admin) perspective I don't think there's enough difference between the different forum software options to really spend the time caring and 'shopping' for a different one.  A user can view, post, search, edit profile.  That's pretty standard among all of the options.  So I would agree with Daniel0 that it's more of the Mod/Administrator's preference that really matters.  I would ignore the opinions of regular users (meaning non-mod/admin) in this thread if I were one of the people who's vote mattered in the end.

So are you a mod of their forums or somehow a part of their staff or otherwise affiliated with them?

That was going to be my next question... you're pushing awfully damn hard.

I'm not trying to actually. :P I just think that the easier to use forum software and some nice features will gain more members and traffic. I'm just thinking about the community. :D

You're pushing as you say you're not pushing.

You're either in love with MyBB or you get e-cookies for referrals or something.  lol

"but I still think it's better than VB."

The vBulletin admin cp is horrible.  Terrible.  OMG BAD.

So are you a mod of their forums or somehow a part of their staff or otherwise affiliated with them?

That was going to be my next question... you're pushing awfully damn hard.

You're pushing as you say you're not pushing.

You're either in love with MyBB or you get e-cookies for referrals or something.  lol

"but I still think it's better than VB."

The vBulletin admin cp is horrible.  Terrible.  OMG BAD.

Trust me. I don't get anything for referrals. No e-cookies, no chocolate chip cookies, nor a bag of mini-cookies. I just dislike SMF.

Ah its nice to read some actual peoples feedback. I currently am working solo (with php help from a friend when I get stuck) on forums just like phpbb smf  you name it, you know the free forum software. Anyway I basically got this from you  guys and im not trying to advertise or anything since the sites not even up but would u guys agree that you would mostly want these features in forum software?

(in no particular order)

1. easy to use and navigate admincp

2. buttons that look neat ;)

3. speed

4. easy to read source code (trust me it will be EZZZZ ;))

5. converter to other forum software types (no idea how ill do that..may be an afterthought actually)

Sorry if this seems inappropiate thread to do this, if you want i can just make a thread on this

It shouldn't be a goal to make the source code easy to read.  The code should be formatted nicely, but the code should not be written simply just so a few newbies can read it.  If you need to make super complex classes doing black magic, go for it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.