Advertisements on PHP Freaks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all I’ve been using phpfreaks for years.

And I just got to say the new advertisement, Is not going to work it floored, How come so many brains on phpfreak come to the idea by adding adds to the forum will generate a income to keep the forum going what a sick joke.

I am pretty sure that any advertisement campaign linked to any website is NOT allowed to use there adverts, to encourage users to subscribe and to get rid of the campaign adverts for subscription money.

If you want to earn proper money via the web site, you got so many users trying to get there websites seen, why NOT just design your own advertising campaign and charge each user to show there websites off it that easy…….

This way users get to advertise there websites on a well established forum and your earn money for advertising there websites and gain a regular income…….

Even if you still continue to let users not see the advertising links at least it your advertising campaign.

Don’t see why phpfraks needs to use such terrible advert links……

And sorry it true most users will just block the adverts and it wont bother them, the idear off the adverts is to encourage users to press the adverts to gain money for your website NOT encourage users to subscribe to get a income.

I also don’t think it a good idea to let anyone no that a user with stars, has the ability to pay for a subscription, There soon be spammed with begging email letters wait and see.

Regards redarrow….

Listen, whether there are ads or not is not debatable. Unless someone is willing to pay the amount of revenue we gain from the ads then they will stay. Period.

I am pretty sure that any advertisement campaign linked to any website is NOT allowed to use there adverts, to encourage users to subscribe and to get rid of the campaign adverts for subscription money.

We are well within our rights to hide the ads for whomever we wish. We get paid either by impression or by click (not sure which) so if we get less impressions or clicks by hiding the ads for certain users then we'll just not gain revenue from them (apart from their donation of course). They don't pay for ads that aren't shown so they have no say in that whatsoever.

And I just got to say the new advertisement, Is not going to work it floored, How come so many brains on phpfreak come to the idea by adding adds to the forum will generate a income to keep the forum going what a sick joke.

Oh really? What do you know about the costs of keeping this site up and what do you know about the revenue we get from displaying advertisements?

If you want to earn proper money via the web site, you got so many users trying to get there websites seen, why NOT just design your own advertising campaign and charge each user to show there websites off it that easy…….

This way users get to advertise there websites on a well established forum and your earn money for advertising there websites and gain a regular income…….

Even if you still continue to let users not see the advertising links at least it your advertising campaign.

Don’t see why phpfraks needs to use such terrible advert links……

I don't see how making our own advertising campaign will differ from using an existing one...

And sorry it true most users will just block the adverts and it wont bother them, the idear off the adverts is to encourage users to press the adverts to gain money for your website NOT encourage users to subscribe to get a income.

What do you know about that? For your information, since we started displaying the ads we've earned $120 in donation subscription money.

I also don’t think it a good idea to let anyone no that a user with stars, has the ability to pay for a subscription, There soon be spammed with begging email letters wait and see.

That doesn't make sense to me. What would be get spammed about and what would they beg for? They themselves can just go purchase a subscription and get ad-free pages, stars, and a colored name.

I just don't understand why the ads are embedded within the threads themselves.  From a design standpoint, it makes more sense for the ads to be at the top of the page so they're always visible during navigation.  Given the amount of free space in the header, I don't see why they're not put in there, next to the PHP Freaks logo.  Most of the other sites I visit have their ads there.  It's a more natural/logical location, and it doesn't clutter up the content space.

Like I said in the locked thread I started a couple days ago, my beef isn't with the ads themselves, but their location.

I just don't understand why the ads are embedded within the threads themselves.  From a design standpoint, it makes more sense for the ads to be at the top of the page so they're always visible during navigation.  Given the amount of free space in the header, I don't see why they're not put in there, next to the PHP Freaks logo.  Most of the other sites I visit have their ads there.  It's a more natural/logical location, and it doesn't clutter up the content space.

Like I said in the locked thread I started a couple days ago, my beef isn't with the ads themselves, but their location.

There is one at the top and one at the bottom. Then there is the youtube one that had to be displayed below all the posts because it sometimes caused loading issues, although that seems to have disappeared.

From a visibility standpoint it makes a lot of sense to place the ads within the topics.

Also, we use an SMF modification for displaying the ads, meaning we're restricted to the options it gives us. This makes it much easier to manage the ads without modifying the source ourselves each time.

Anyone who doesn't understand the need for advertising on a popular website that is free to use is an idiot. A two second delay? Jesus Christ people. You'd swear that lives were at stake here?!

"OMG IT WONT LOAD IT WONT LOAD... oh its ok."

Seriously guys. They are not that bad.

I think, ultimately, this Thread was opened to discuss issues you had with the Ads in regards to slow load, it is making it hard to read messages, it breaks the divs/template, it is causing me to get errors, etc.  Things such as how appealing it is to the eye, if you like ads or not, etc.  are really out of topic.  The Ads were placed here by the Administration Team of this site, they will remain (unless you are an active donor), and the decision is final.

Now, if you have a problem relevant to errors, slow load, major lags, etc. that were stated earlier, then please let us know so we can fix them.  Ultimately, this site DOES cost money to run.  Even with the argument, "I would gladly donate, there was no need for ads." You are one of the select few that would donate, which is why we turn the Ads off for you.  Even google displays Ads on their search pages, you just don't see them as Ads.  You see them as Premium Search Results, but someone paid to have those Search Results placed on the right hand of the search screen.

What do you know about that? For your information, since we started displaying the ads we've earned $120 in donation subscription money.

I don't think you should count me in there - I would have donated anyways had I known of the donations. I usually donate once or twice a year to the sites I visit regularly.

I don't think you should count me in there - I would have donated anyways had I known of the donations. I usually donate once or twice a year to the sites I visit regularly.

PHPFreaks has successfully moved to a new Dedicated Server, hosted by Server Powered. Please help support future upgrades by Donating.

This message has been visible for at least a week, maybe two, before ads were intrduced :P

Anyway: no "session expired" errors for two days now.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm afraid not. As I said, we cannot verify transactions. The only person who can do that is too busy to do so, I'm afraid. I'm not saying you're lying, but a screenshot isn't proof anyway. The only way to get the subscription is to go through the payment procedure via your profile panel.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you kidding me, I noticed a massive delay when I logged on for the first time with the ads there! I typed in www.phpfreaks.com/forums, and a half of a second later I started wondering what was taking so long. About a second after that when the page was fully loaded, I started looking around for ads! I just new they where there! Why else would the page take so long long to load!? Then when I finally found the small ad at the bottom of the page, where it was out of the way.... Man was I fuming!

lol... Do you people read what you post???

On the flip side of things, how much could this site possible cost to run!?

I personally don't care about the little ad way at the bottom of the page. I scroll right past it and think nothing of it. However, if the ads become flashy and annoying, you can bet that I will block them! There are inly two types of ads that I don't like, flashy irritating ones, and ones that are in the middle of what your doing.

Still, I am curious, if anyone know how much this site cost to run, please let me know. I can't image it being over $30 a month, which shouldn't be to hard to get on an active forum such as this.

Are you kidding me, I noticed a massive delay when I logged on for the first time with the ads there! I typed in www.phpfreaks.com/forums, and a half of a second later I started wondering what was taking so long. About a second after that when the page was fully loaded, I started looking around for ads! I just new they where there! Why else would the page take so long long to load!? Then when I finally found the small ad at the bottom of the page, where it was out of the way.... Man was I fuming!

lol... Do you people read what you post???

On the flip side of things, how much could this site possible cost to run!?

I personally don't care about the little ad way at the bottom of the page. I scroll right past it and think nothing of it. However, if the ads become flashy and annoying, you can bet that I will block them! There are inly two types of ads that I don't like, flashy irritating ones, and ones that are in the middle of what your doing.

Still, I am curious, if anyone know how much this site cost to run, please let me know. I can't image it being over $30 a month, which shouldn't be to hard to get on an active forum such as this.

If I had to guess, I'd say way more than $30 a month.  Wayyyy more.

Okay so I thought I'd elaborate on why hosting a large website isn't cheap.

Being large means that many requests will be made to the server. This means that the server load will be higher and we will require more resources. In order to get more resources we need more expensive equipment. The datacenter also has various forms of protective measures such as cooling. Both running the server and cooling systems use electricity and that costs money as well. Hardware doesn't last forever either, so eventually it'll have to be replaced. The datacenter also has sophisticated security measures such as biometric security, surveillance, keycards, etc. The datacenter also has redundancy to prevent or limit downtime and it has 24/7 human staff that need to get paid as well. Then there is the cost of purchasing gigabit uplinks, which isn't that cheap either.

Everything adds up, and even though we are owned by a hosting company we do not actually get free hosting; the resources allocated to us are resources that cannot be sold to actual clients and we still consume stuff like electricity.

You are probably being fooled by those infinity hosts that exist. We couldn't possibly use such a host as there would be other restrictions beside bandwidth and harddisks. One thing would be CPU usage, and if you look at this topic then you'll see that cheaper hosts put restrictions on how large the database can be. In the case of the host in the aforementioned topic, our database would be many times too large to be hosted there, for example. The infinity hosts can give you "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth because any site that would ever consume a lot of either would incidentally consume additional resources that are limited.

But again, if you are willing to pay for our hosting or provide the same level of hosting we currently have for only $30/month then we would be very interested in hearing from you.

That almost certainly had nothing to do with the adverts. I've never ever noticed a problem. I expect you happened to log on at a time when a database backup was being performed - the site does slow down when that happens.

That almost certainly had nothing to do with the adverts. I've never ever noticed a problem. I expect you happened to log on at a time when a database backup was being performed - the site does slow down when that happens.

Yeah... That was a joke........

I guess it is the infinity hosts that have me brain washed.... There are just so many hosts out there that offer unlimited bandwidth and HDD space. I never thought of them placing a limit on the size of a database. I just though that was part of the unlimited HDD space....

Knowing that this place costs so much, if I ever get off unemployment, I will make it a point to subscribe.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.