My possible new system

Liquid Fire

My laptop is not handling the gaming i want it to(it can't run GTA IV very well even on all the lowest settings) so i want to buy a desktop(that way i can upgrade it in a year or 2 instead of buying a whole new system).  Since i want to be able to upgrade the system, I am buying a Core i7 Series processor since they just came out, they should provide a few years of upgrade.  This is a list of what i am thinking about buying from cyber power:

CASE: Thermaltake Spedo Full Tower 420W Case w/ Side-panel Window

POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: 900 Watts Power Supplies (Apevia Warlock Series)

CPU: Intel® Core™2 i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366

COOLING FAN : CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent Operation at only 22dBA + Overclock Proof)

MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard SAS Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, & 7.1Audio

MEMORY: 6GB (3x2GB) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 896MB 16X PCI Express (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)

HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

Optical Drive: LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY/HD-DVD Reader / DVD±R/±RW Writer (Black Color)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

NETWORK: Intel Pro Gigabite 10/100/1000 Network Card

Extra Thermal Display : NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum High Performance Fan Control, Clock, & Temperature Display

Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card

Cable Wiring: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU

Rounded Cable: Round Cable Upgrade for Optical Drive

USB PORT: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)

In total it will cost me about 2050.  The price seems good(Almost all the same stuff from newegg would cost about 1800).  What do you guys think of this system?  Any other recommandation of a company besided cyberpowerpc to buy from?

I bought a 64 bit computer with vista 64 bit about 6 months ago.  There isn't a whole lot of software out there right now that takes advantage of it, and actually, there's a lot of stuff out there that's not even compatible with it at this point in time.  But by the time it gets around to being commonplace, The hardware will be a lot less expensive.  It seemed like a good investment at the time, but now I kind of regret going 64 bit. 

On the other hand, I'm 'poor,' so it's not like I have the money to keep up with the Jones' every time something new comes out.  My situation differed from yours though, in that my computer died on me, so it was more a matter of replacement rather than upgrade. 

If you do decide to stick with 32bit, you can downgrade the ram, because 32 bit cannot use 6gb of ram. 

Also, make sure that motherboard has a 16x pci express slot, for your graphics card.

Also, you'd probably save yourself a lot of money by downgrading that blue ray to a regular DVD r/w flavor.  You said this is a desktop, so unless you plan on popping the popcorn and pulling up the couch to watch movies on your desktop instead of your tv, it's kind of a waste of money. 

I agree about the dvd player, i will down grade that.

My laptop was never meant to least me for 3-4 years since i could not upgrade it.  This desktop i want to last me for the next 2-4 years while only having to do single component upgrades.

The mother board has 3 PCI Express X16 with the ability to run 2 Nvidia cards and X16.

As far as the 64-bit thing, My current laptop is running Window Vista Ultimate 64-bit and i have have no issues running my software so i am not worried about that.

As far as the memory, i have heard that running 6GB instead of 3GB can vastly improve performance of applications so i think it is worth the 150 upgrade.

While i would not consider myself rich(if i was i would be buying the top of the line stuff across the board) i am just trying to find a nice middle ground that will allow me to upgrade from some time a a little less than 2000 is not a bad price(compared to some computers line alienware's middle line computers).

AlienWare systems are notoriously overpriced, lol.

Your setup should be a beast ;p.

The only advantage I can see 6GB offering over 3GB (speed wise) is dual channeling capability.  If you had 3 sticks, it would be an odd setup.

Also, be aware that in 2-4 years, your mobo might not support the best hardware around, but I guess since your buying some midline stuff now (well upper-midline is what I would call it :)), you should atleast always have that upgrade space.

I just updated my system:

Thermaltake Kandalf Liquid Cooled Case

Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 CPU

790i Motherboard, 3 gigs ram

nVidia 260 GTX Video Card

500 Gig HD

Used my existing SB X-Fi, Logitech G15 Keyboard and I must say, I love it.  The Liquid cooling is fantastic.

I wanted it just to keep everything cool and it wasn't that expensive to do.

I think all the past issues my systems have had has always been due to overheating.  I'm hoping this will extend the life of it.

Did you overclock your CPU, or did you just want liquid cooling?

Why put in  260-500$ V CARD and then put a core2 dual, go with a amd phenom quad core with good MoBo and 4 to 8 gig of ram plus almost all your software will work 64 bit  i never had an issue but i do everything on linux untel i start to game then i boot up windows xp sp3 also your not going to be running 900 watts so why are you paying for 900 watts? also i am not a huge ASUSE fan i would take a BOISTAR or ECS befir ASUSE on a gaming pc.

BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD with

AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor

and OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory  (if you want 8 gig times that by 2)

hope this helps

edit: opps i thought that was a dual core :( but amd is more bang for the $

I built a new pc last summer and it screams... but more importantly heat is not an issue.

This case provides awesome airflow and great configuration, as well the power supply mounts at the bottom, which allows cool air to get into the power supply.

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=15900

For the CPU I went with a TEC instead of water cooling. It's a beast and your case has to have room to handle it, but I can run World of Warcraft with all the video options cranked on one screen, several IM programs, brower and tv or dvd playing on the other and never hit above 30c. Idle around 25c.

(Dont mind the price that ultra shows, you can find it cheaper)

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=17&pPath=571&productID=571

As well, just a thought, the stock power supply that comes in the your case is probably not going to handle the video card. I put in an 8800gtx 756mb... had to go with a 750 power supply to handle. Just saying to be certain the power supply can handle the video card as well as all your other needs when you build.

Have fun with the build...

Why put in  260-500$ V CARD and then put a core2 dual, go with a amd phenom quad core with good MoBo and 4 to 8 gig of ram plus almost all your software will work 64 bit  i never had an issue but i do everything on linux untel i start to game then i boot up windows xp sp3 also your not going to be running 900 watts so why are you paying for 900 watts? also i am not a huge ASUSE fan i would take a [...]

i'm not a big fan of punctuation either.

For the CPU I went with a TEC instead of water cooling. It's a beast and your case has to have room to handle it, but I can run World of Warcraft with all the video options cranked on one screen, several IM programs, brower and tv or dvd playing on the other and never hit above 30c. Idle around 25c.

how high is the dose of adderall you are prescribed for, if you are playing WoW, chatting on IM, browsing the internet AND watching a DVD at the same time?

how high is the dose of adderall you are prescribed for, if you are playing WoW, chatting on IM, browsing the internet AND watching a DVD at the same time?

Haha... ok, maybe not watching a DVD, but the Browser and IM/Ventrilo go along with playing WoW...

But I have played a DVD or two when I was bored and just grinding a level or waiting on a raid to start...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.