Free anti-virus/spyware/firewall software...

Maq

I'll have to say that common sense is the best thing against spyware and viruses.

Agreed, for the most part, but some of use like to download stuff ;) People can be misleading and malicious. AVG is pretty good, I think avast is free too.  I hear one of the best windows clients now is nod32.  Not free but they say is has a very light footprint.

I used to use AVG back when I used Windows, not sure if it's still kicking around though...

I have had the same suggestion from some of my friends, it has a good reputation.  Thanks.

I'll have to say that common sense is the best thing against spyware and viruses.

As do I.  But, the problem is my friend, who just bought a new laptop, does not have any common sense.

AVG is pretty good, I think avast is free too.  I hear one of the best windows clients now is nod32.  Not free but they say is has a very light footprint.

I've heard of avast but nothing about it.  I never heard of nod32, too bad he wants something free.  I'll check it out anyway, thanks!

One more question.  I'm a linux user, although I have a PC with XP, anyway... is Vista's built in firewall any good?  I think it's called Defender. if I'm not mistaken.

I used to to use Avast. Worked good, and warnings accompanied with siren sounds did great work of scaring girls that were using my PC :D (One of them still clicked on 'Ignore' apparently... duh...)

Now I have a company-paid NOD license. Not bad as well. It is said however to interfere with WampServer on some PCs. One should be disabled when other is installed or something... Didn't have this problem here.

Its kernel process is taking 40MB of RAM here.

I tried all the good free ones lately and here is my take:

AVG - bloated, scans at the worst times, fails to update A LOT, does catch a lot of stuff

Avira - decent, but doesn't catch drive-by stuff on websites.  Also will annoy the crap out of you for a few weeks with daily "ads" for the premium version.  They eventually stop though.

Avast - no real complaints thus far.  Seems to scan at reasonable times and has a lot of options.

I personally think ESET NOD32 is the best, but again, not free.

ESET NOD32 is the only one I've been able to run without having any significant impact on my computer's performance. Some programs even made my computer unusable until I removed them again.

I don't think he's willing to pay.  I'm going to go with Avast because it has had the most positive comments.  If Avast doesn't work out for some reason I'll check out ESET NOD32.  Thanks again all.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.