PHP Programming - As a Career?

Lukeidiot

in my opiion there are more than double the ammounts of php sites compared to any other servers side scripting language

Dude, that doesn't even make sense. In your opinion there are more? Either there is or there isn't - opinion is irrelevant.

how can that not make sense everything that is not acuratley countable must be judged on oppinion, and as i said i know that asp is solid and i have changed my mind after rreading you guys and basicaly im gona start learnign it, i think teh major favtor ws that the firts time i picked it up it was too vast for me to take in. Now that i have PEAR and JQuery under my belt i think i can take them over , i am happy with event based programmming with Jquery and i am happt with PEAR library website and php website is just a doddle now so on to bigger and better then hein ? setting up ftp and mail on windows seems to be a doddle too, its all commign to light, but i knwo  money is going to be involved somtime soon.

In my opinion, your opinion is wrong.

http://langpop.com/

I don't know how reliable these statistics are, but I'd probably trust Google's results more than the rest.

Adam

Well, it's difficult to tell. The google results are biased, as the article states, towards open source because that is the type of programming found in google code. I'd say the same applies to many results on that list, and, as Corbin stated, just because more of something exists doesn't mean more money exists in that field. Take for instance SQL. SQL is far below many other technologies on those listings, but it is an important technology to know even with ORM and such out there. Of course stats like these are the best we have to go off of, so as long as we take them with a grain of salt, they help give us some idea of the realities.

I don't think it really matters which language is the most in use. Pick up C/C++, Java, some .NET and some other technologies and play it by ear what else you need to learn to stay competitive... but never stop learning. Knowing what technology to use for what types problems is an integral part of being a great programmer.

Which languages you would want to learn also depends on what your goals are.

If you just want to make some big bucks then you would be better off picking some of the languages that generally pay high. I believe those are languages like Java or various .NET based technologies. If you wish to do stuff on embedded systems with minimal resources available then a language like Java would probably be too bloated and you might want to check out C or maybe even assembly. If you wish to do research in a particular field of computer science then there are some things that would be good to know there as well. I think that stuff like AI research is traditionally done in Lisp and/or Prolog. Web development is another option and here e.g. PHP would be a good choice. There are plenty of resources available (though some really suck or are outdated), and even though opinions about PHP coming from this web may well be biased, I think it's reasonable to say that PHP is fairly popular as well. If you wish to be a sysadmin then Perl and Python would likely suit you well, and if it's a GNU/Linux system then bash would be handy too. You might also do programming because you simply think it's awesome. In that case you can pick anything you want, but choosing a lot of different languages would probably be a good idea to get a broader view of programming in general (I suppose you can say that regardless of your goals). Also, there are probably a fair share of old systems written using old languages like Fortran. As a competent developer in such languages you could likely earn a lot of money, but you would also risk that your skills would become too outdated too soon.

Again, it really depends on what you wish to do. Pick the right tool for the right job. There is no reason why you theoretically couldn't do web development in assembly, but it would be pointless and a waste of time.

Specifically at OP, there must be a reason why you are here asking this question. There must be a reason why you are inquiring about the "careerability" of PHP instead of asking medicine, law, or maybe cooking. I'd guess that since you're here, you are interested in web development, and in that case I think PHP would be a good candidate, but there are other languages like Ruby and Python you could use for that as well.

You fail at logic...

You cannot count the number of atoms in the universe, so in my opinion there is only one. By your logic that's a perfectly valid statement.

im pretty sure language popularity decreases value of the developers using it,

my opinion is my theory which is based on fuzzy logic, fuzzy logic drives your car breaks, your washing machines, and your life support machine.

by noticing my most used sites such as youtube and facebook and some other one are php therfore i have deduced that 2 in 3 most popular apps are php, other people also use these apps, and by glimpsing accross teh net i have seen mostly php so my logic is fuzzy logic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic

in my final year project i done this thing where your mouse goes over the item in the shop and ajaxian php is called to work out how long your mouse was on that item for and when it popped out, these are recorded in the database, obviously i had sync issues but the logic is fuzzy we only need a bundle of records rather than each one, then we can deduce which items are most populare when combined with what items are actually looked at and what items are rolled over and for how long.

based on all the users combined input my ajaxian side bar would automatically update using its most pop item func for all users and they would keep on top of what everyone is interested in in real time (almost)

I believe I once watched a video with a Youtube engineer stating they use Python.

You fail at logic...

You cannot count the number of atoms in the universe, so in my opinion there is only one. By your logic that's a perfectly valid statement.

im pretty sure language popularity decreases value of the developers using it,

my opinion is my theory which is based on fuzzy logic, fuzzy logic drives your car breaks, your washing machines, and your life support machine.

by noticing my most used sites such as youtube and facebook and some other one are php therfore i have deduced that 2 in 3 most popular apps are php, other people also use these apps, and by glimpsing accross teh net i have seen mostly php so my logic is fuzzy logic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic 

You can't just do that. Take some statistics classes...

nadeemshift, just because a lot of something exists does not mean that the creator are not well paid. A lot of iPods (random example) exist, but they aren't exactly $5.

I think youtube uses python to handle the video uploading/converting. I don't know about the rest of the site. Would be interesting to know though.

*Googles*

Edit (Daniel0): Fixed formatting.

• 1 month later...

... youtube and facebook and some other one are php therfore i have deduced that 2 in 3 most popular apps are php

[citation needed]

:P

Perhaps if you're referring to their frontends, yes, but I can nearly guarantee you that youtube and facebook use something other than php behind the scenes.

true that even i have moved to zends framework now with extjs on the front

nadeemshift, just because a lot of something exists does not mean that the creator are not well paid. A lot of iPods (random example) exist, but they aren't exactly $5.

I think youtube uses python to handle the video uploading/converting. I don't know about the rest of the site. Would be interesting to know though.

*Googles*

Edit (Daniel0): Fixed formatting.

im enjoying it more now i have moved out of a small company that uses just LAMP now i work for a bigger company using zend framework dir struct and Ext js and php-ext wrapper, the apps look mind blowing, structure is well managed. the apps are more important aswell and the environment is more distributed, but yeh the way your saying is the best way, use the book but dont take it too literaly.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.