[SOLVED] Always returning zero?

9three

Hey,

$x = $goldMatch[0][1];
  $y = $percent;
  $total = ($x * $y) / 2;
  echo $total;

x has stored 968.00

y is determined by the user's input right now being .15 (or 15%)

I need to mutiply that and then divide.

It always gives me zero. I did:

$total = ($x * 2);

echo $total;

And it gave me zero as well

I did this, and it echoed "72.6".

$x = 968.00;
$y = .15;
$total = ($x * $y) / 2;
echo $total;
?>

It's probably because 'y' should be '$y'.  If that's not the case, then your variables aren't holding what you said they were, try echoing them out individually to ensure they have correct values.

I think I found the problem. I'm storing the TD element with the integers so maybe thats why it's not working.

That's why I wanted to know what data type you were storing them as.

This isn't Java or C++, this is PHP...  It's so loosely typed it doesn't matter as long as the data has real numbers.

I'm trying to remove it but it's not replacing the string instead it's just echoing it out like normal:

preg_match_all('~<td class="td" align="Right">(.+?)</td>~is', $gold, $goldMatch);
  echo str_replace('<td class="td" align="Right">(.+?)</td>', '(.+?)', $goldMatch[0][1]);

The output is:

<td class="td" align="Right">968.00</td>

It should just put 968.00

Well if that's not it, then I'm not sure what it could be.

yes it was a typo here. I did try to echo them out individual and they are storing properly.

echo of x:

echo of y:

echo of $total:

I thought you said they were echoing correctly...?  You may want to ask this in the Regex section, since this is what your thread has become.

well they do output correctly. if you view the source though, it has HTML. though i dont know if that matters? its the only thing i can think of, of why is not working right.

I got it:

<?php

function gold()
{
  $gold = file_get_contents('http://www.site.com/');
  preg_match_all('~<td class="td" align="Right">(.+?)</td>~is', $gold, $goldMatch);

$x = str_replace('<td class="td" align="Right">', '', $goldMatch[0][1]);
  $y = .15;
  $total = (($x * $y) / .20);
  echo $total;
}

gold();
?>
?>

Looks like PHP can't render integers if there is HTML before the integers that are needed. Anything after the integer doesnt matter.

I'm trying to remove it but it's not replacing the string instead it's just echoing it out like normal:

echo str_replace('<td class="td" align="Right">(.+?)</td>', '(.+?)', $goldMatch[0][1]);

The output is:

<td class="td" align="Right">968.00</td>

It should just put 968.00

Well if that's not it, then I'm not sure what it could be.

<?php
$gold = '<td class="td" align="Right">968.00</td>';
echo str_replace('<td class="td" align="Right">(.+?)</td>', '(.+?)', $goldMatch[0][0]);
?>

Outputs 968.00

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.