Should I stay with IE 6 or upgrade to IE 7 as a Web Designer

andrewsCWD

Im confused...why would people prefer IE 6 to 7?

Btw, just came across this which is interesting...http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/12/19/internet-explorer-8-and-acid2-a-milestone.aspx

I've been debugging my website in IE8 beta 2 recently, and there's actually not much to debug.

Quite impressive for microsoft.

A lot of companies invested a lot of money in developing stuff like intranet websites that only run on IE6.

Even then, if they prefer IE6 to IE7 then why would you force them to choose something else? That's like forcing you to eat at Burger King instead of McDonald's just because I think Burger King's burgers are better.

No, I don't believe in forcing them to do anything, I just didn't really understand why they'd actually go out of their way to continue using an outdated browser.

I see your point, but tbh, if they designed their website for IE 6, it must be atleast five years old, so it's probably time for a redesign anyway...

Btw, just came across this which is interesting...http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/12/19/internet-explorer-8-and-acid2-a-milestone.aspx

I've been debugging my website in IE8 beta 2 recently, and there's actually not much to debug.

- Well obviously there isn't much to debug. IE8 passed the ACID2 test for standard compliance set forth in CSS 2.1 by the W3C.

I wish IE had an auto updater like Firefox.

I didn't think the firefox auto updater forced major new versions? Like, don't you have to manually download FF 3?

Oh......  Well it should.

I'm pretty sure it does prompt for major versions, on Mac OS X at least.

- Well obviously there isn't much to debug. IE8 passed the ACID2 test for standard compliance set forth in CSS 2.1 by the W3C.

You know, passing the acid2 test isn't something to be that proud of, considering most other browsers managed it three years ago.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.