a good chat script

jakebur01

Does anyone have any experience with a good, reliable chat script I could implement into my site using my current table of users.

There are a lot of chat scripts out there. I am not fond of those scripts that have 50 php pages and 5 database tables. I am looking for something more simple that I can customize. It must be capable of handling 30 to 50 people at one time.

So IRC runs on someone else's server? There are many people associated with IRC on google. Do you have a preference as to which on would be better?

And I could integrate this into my website and my current users stored in mysql?

Basically there are many free servers out there. You find one you like, create a channel for your site then register that channel. You will have to learn some IRC commands, there are different programs, some people like mIRC but you have to pay for it etc.

IRC is a whole nother world and an interesting one. It is worth and fun learning if you ask me.

I don't think you would have much control over IRC and I'm not sure how you would embed it into your site.

You would have quite a bit control depending on the server. As far as users really being who they are, you can customize a script to have them login as that, but you cannot prevent them from changing the username inchat.

As far as embedding it, it is just a Java Applet: http://www.phpfreaks.com/page/irc-live-chat

:) A lot of chat sites use this method, like major chat sites. You can really lock down a channel and require a registered username/password. And if you really want it to be members only you have a bot and when a user registers you can use a cronjob and checking if they are registered on the irc chat, if not you add them there via a bot.

Anyhow that is a bit of work, but the basic irc chat is the easiest to implement, there are plenty of java applets for it that should be free.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.