WinPE 2.0 - Vista/Win7 Install via USb

premiso

Has anyone tried to setup WinPE2.0 to install Windows 7 or Vista from a Jumpdrive?

Just curious, I highly doubt there have been :) I am currently working on doing it and finding it an annoying task with the right information spread over multiple sources as I am working from WindowsXP, which requires a bit more work. I am on the last stretch right now, however. And if this works I am going to attempt to setup XP and Vista to be installed the same way. That way I have all 3 in one simple jumpdrive install and it should make it easy for re-installing or setting up another computer at work instead of using CD's/DVD's.

The main reason for doing this is some of the CD drives at work are not DVD capable, so yea. We do use Ghost, but in some remote locations Ghost is not acceptable. So yea. I decided to venture down this road.

Anyhow just curious if I am the only tard to try this or not :) If I do successfully get Win7 installed from PE, I might even post how I did it. 

Well, I figured it out :)

Too bad Windows 7 is still Beta, but it works great for Vista and XP. If anyone wants a tutorial posted let me know, if not I will just keep my secrets to myself >:D

I wouldn't mind reading that.  I use a combination of a pxe server with ghost to image all of my computers, but every now and then I have to do a fresh install.

I wouldn't mind reading that.  I use a combination of a pxe server with ghost to image all of my computers, but every now and then I have to do a fresh install.

Good deal, I will start writing up a tutorial for it, it really is not that hard, to be honest. My whole issue is that I refuse to use Vista, and without Vista you have to do some formatting with the HP Utility and 98se Boot Disk then modify the bootsect and boddaboom. But that part I had to gather from bits and pieces it was not in just one spot.

Anyhow, I will post a link to it here when I get it written and published.

what? I thought MS made installing their OS easier than ever.  All you have to do is keep pressing the next button until you get the the finish button, and boom, your done!

My situation was I have an 8GB Jump Drive. I wanted Windows XP, Vista and (for testing reasons) Windows 7 to be able to be installed from it. All in one, no CD's/DVD's required. Installing Windows PE 2.0 to a Jumpdrive and make it bootable is really easily done in Vista, however in XP it is a different story, since Diskpart under XP does not mount Removable Storage Drives. So that part does not work. You have to "hack" it to work by using the HP Boot Utility and Bootsect. Once that is done you copy the WinPE 2.0 iso files to the jumpdrive then make a new folder on the JD for the different windows version files.

Then reboot load into WinPE 2.0 and mount the jumpdrive, navigate to the OS and run setup.exe. From there it is as simple as the CD :)

The hard part was figuring out how to get the Jumpdrive to boot using Windows XP and not Vista.

what? I thought MS made installing their OS easier than ever.  All you have to do is keep pressing the next button until you get the the finish button, and boom, your done!

it pretty much is that way, but with vista windows uses winPE as a stripped down version of windows to initiate the installer. Premiso wanted to boot from a USB drive which is loaded with winPE and then load any OS. It is a lot easier to walk around with a USB stick.

I have absolutely no use for being able to install an OS off of a flash drive, but that is now my life goal.

lol, I have plenty of uses for it :) And for the $20 it cost me for this 8GB jumpdrive, I could see no better use for it!

Just an update on the Windows 7 RC:

I’m pleased to share that the RC is on track for April 30th for  download by MSDN and TechNet subscribers. Broader, public availability will begin on May 5th.

Just 9 more days till public availability. :)

Woohoo! Cannot wait.

I've been using Vista for nearly a year and have no problems with it.  Windows 7 does look like it will have some pretty decent improvements though.

An understatement. From what I have used of Vista, Windows 7 is far more responsive, sleeker and a ton better. Really Windows 7 is very nice. If you liked Vista, I think you will love Windows 7 :)

I have absolutely no use for being able to install an OS off of a flash drive, but that is now my life goal.

lol, I have plenty of uses for it :) And for the $20 it cost me for this 8GB jumpdrive, I could see no better use for it!

I have no use...  Just sounds nifty.  lol.

As for Windows 7, I got it during the first public beta, and I love it.  Unfortunately all of my stuff was already install on my Vista partition and what not though, so I stuck to Vista.  (Also, I couldn't have moved to 7 without some later on funny business since it would have expired in like August.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.