Trying to learn web programming :PHP

jackson4me90

I m new to web programming...I work in a web development company.

I work as a Technical Content writter(CL)for a technical site ,my superior ordered me to learn any web language for some development purpose !!I prefered to choose PHP over the others.I hav a little knowledge on C-lang.which is the best way to learn or become an efficent programmer in PHP.I tried many attempts to learn a language lik C,but I failed...Any of My well wisher would lik to hlp me,there valuable suggestions are always welcome !!

Regards

Best way to learn is to make tons and tons of mistake and learn from them. Trust me, you'll have your fair share.

thanx,but really don't have much time left in my hand !!can u suggest me some topics on which i may follow/search some code on php and start studying them...coz i m desprate to do that !!

I m new to web programming...I work in a web development company.

I work as a Technical Content writter(CL)for a technical site ,my superior ordered me to learn any web language for some development purpose !!I prefered to choose PHP over the others.I hav a little knowledge on C-lang.which is the best way to learn or become an efficent programmer in PHP.I tried many attempts to learn a language lik C,but I failed...Any of My well wisher would lik to help me,there valuable suggestions are always welcome !!

Regards

Can someone plz suggest me what kind of functions should i use while working/creating on simple programs,if possible plz shed some light on the relation between PHP and XML !!

Then you won't learn it.

sry for my misbehaviour,if any...

No misbehavior of any kind. I'm simply saying that if you don't have a bunch of time then you're not going to learn to program. Learning anything requires time and effort.

Then you won't learn it.

sry for my misbehaviour,if any...

No misbehavior of any kind. I'm simply saying that if you don't have a bunch of time then you're not going to learn to program. Learning anything requires time and effort.

ok i will keep that in mind.and also thanx for such quick reply,but sir can u

plz comment on the topic that is there any relation between PHP and XML ?i mean to say any article if u ever seen on net,or about personal views,as u r an expert in web field !!

PHP can utilize XML through various functions, more commonly simplexml. Other than that there is no relation. They are separate. PHP is a programming language, XML is a markup language which is generally used for data storage/configurations/news feeds.

Generally speaking, there is no inherent relationship between PHP and any other language. However, many languages are frequently used together. PHP is often used to create web pages, and that means it is often used along languages like SQL, HTML, CSS and Javascript. In order to be a good web developer you would need experience with all of the aforementioned languages.

In regards to XML, as premiso already said, it's a markup language. It's designed to describe data without any information about things like look or behavior. This means that it's good for transmitting data between programs, places, servers, etc. Examples of other languages like that would be YAML or JSON.

Generally speaking, there is no inherent relationship between PHP and any other language. However, many languages are frequently used together. PHP is often used to create web pages, and that means it is often used along languages like SQL, HTML, CSS and Javascript. In order to be a good web developer you would need experience with all of the aforementioned languages.

In regards to XML, as premiso already said, it's a markup language. It's designed to describe data without any information about things like look or behavior. This means that it's good for transmitting data between programs, places, servers, etc. Examples of other languages like that would be YAML or JSON.

waw !!

Dat was really hlpful.thanx

There are some things you should look at as you begin: form handling and interacting with a database.  If you're going to use PHP, chances are you're going to do a lot of both.  If you're going to be doing a lot of database work, you should also look up some information on database normalization.

One book on databases that helped me was 'The Manga Guide to Databases'.

Yes, you read that correctly. I know what you're thinking...but the ~205 page (comic) book does a good job at introducing the ER model and normalizing (up to 3rd normal form) among other aspects and at the end of every chapter, there is a recap without all the anime comic stuff.

I was looking for a good database book at my local bookstore when I stumbled upon this one and had to laugh.. until glanced through it.. and started to see how well explained it was overall.. sure, since there are characters and a story to it, the book tries to get cute and funny in an annoying manner only anime knows how.. but at the end of the day, it's actually pretty decent surprisingly (for an introductory level).

One book that's supposedly really good is Database Systems: The Complete Book. It's crazy expensive though.

Ouch! Dude, you aren't kidding! I can't afford that at the moment.. yikes..  :-[

(reminds of when I was contemplating learning C.. and came across the C Programming Language by Kernighan and Ritchie.. I think at the time, it was about $90). Some books are just soooooo expensive.

i don't understand trying to learn php from a book.  Especially the whole "Comeplete Database" stuff. Sure it might have some cool functions in it, but most of those are completely unneeded unless you build the next google or faceook. And anything you need to learn in order to create a functional site is ALL online and pretty easy to find.

Not to mention, you can't copy and paste from a book like you can form tutorials.... ;) .... some people might remember it better by typing it themselves, but i can learn it by reading it, so i like the copy and paste function

I don't personally think it boils down to whether you can cut and paste or not. For me, it's how the information is presented. Just because something is in electronic format doesn't make it superior to printed material. Boils down to how well the author conveys information IMO. Besides, many books come with companion sites that enable you to cut and paste related code anyway.

On the point of 'Complete Database' stuff, yes, perhaps you won't need to learn the nitty gritty stuff to be able to build good databases.. but I suppose it depends on the individual and how deep they want to get into it. It's no secret.. the more you know, the more advantageous you are. So if you know that much more than others, IMO it makes you that much more knowledgeable / valuable.

I consider this to be akin to building 3d engines.. Sure, you don't need to know absolutely everything inside out to build one.. but it certainly is advantageous if you really know your stuff. If you can squeeze that much more performance / capabilities from building a superior engine, all the more power to you. I guess it really depends on how much you want to improve yourself (whether your job depends on it or not).

There are some things you should look at as you begin: form handling and interacting with a database.  If you're going to use PHP, chances are you're going to do a lot of both.  If you're going to be doing a lot of database work, you should also look up some information on database normalization.

Thanx for your reply ,

I was thinking to grasp on the basic string functions, array functions, control structures, and loops first but you suggested [form handling ]

Which one should i go for and what is the purpose of form handling ?

Any of My well wisher would lik to hlp me,there valuable suggestions are always welcome !!

Regards

I would suggest by googling php tutorials on stuff like what you just mentioned: string functions, array functions, control structures, etc. Surely there is tons of on line material out there for that. If you fancy books instead / as well, take a visit to your local bookstore and look up a book or two on learning PHP. In either case, there's an abundance of material out there available at your disposal.

I would suggest by googling php tutorials on stuff like what you just mentioned: string functions, array functions, control structures, etc. Surely there is tons of on line material out there for that. If you fancy books instead / as well, take a visit to your local bookstore and look up a book or two on learning PHP. In either case, there's an abundance of material out there available at your disposal.

can u plz tel me something on "form handling" ?

Doing a Google search on 'PHP + form handling' is a start. Dig around within those links to see which ones offer easy basic examples and explanations for you.

One of the traits of becoming a good learner is taking self initiatives in researching what it is you are trying to learn. While it is easier for people to spend time explaining everything to you, it is best if you take action and research things for yourself. You will in all likelyhood find a variety of material that will explain things better than what others might.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.