SPAM!... How do you deal with it?

cs.punk

Few months ago I opened a SMF forum thinking it will do well... It had very little posts... So I thought to myself, find all my contacts from my email and email them a small email? It was a honest email telling them about the forum bla bla... Anyway after that my forum was hit with SPAM... And I kept banning them and deleting them, banning ips, but it just continued, same content with different IPs...

I finally deleted it lol...

Currently building a site and I am worried about SPAM again. Once it hit's, more and more comes in... hell 300:1 I would say the ratio of spammers to genuine viewers..

Any advice?

I would say that I have a similar ratio as you, and I found an amazing way that I was able to stop spam!

First I created a CAPTCHA image, and that worked for a little while, then they started to get through again, so I then did some research on what was different between spam posts and the real posts. I found a large I found one, and so I wrote about 3 lines of code and I haven't gotten a single spam post for 6+ months now.

So... I don't really want to post the code that I used in a public area, just in case a spammer gets a hold of it.

I would say that I have a similar ratio as you, and I found an amazing way that I was able to stop spam!

First I created a CAPTCHA image, and that worked for a little while, then they started to get through again, so I then did some research on what was different between spam posts and the real posts. I found a large I found one, and so I wrote about 3 lines of code and I haven't gotten a single spam post for 6+ months now.

So... I don't really want to post the code that I used in a public area, just in case a spammer gets a hold of it.

Aren't you afraid that you're blocking/deleting (however you're doing this) legitimate posts?

I assume you're talking about your snippet site. Commenting doesn't work for me, so I don't think you should worry about people stealing your code. No luck on previewing, getting hints or sorting. Overall major fail. Look up the terms "progressive enhancement" and "separation of concerns". I checked both the old version and beta version.

Here's how I stopped spam.

Code before.

if(isset($_POST['comment'])){
$user->post_comment($_POST['comment']);
}

Code after.

//$user->post_comment($_POST['comment']);
}

Haven't received a single spam post since. And I'm thinking about selling the intellectual property behind it.

Here's how I stopped spam.

Code before.

$user->post_comment($_POST['comment']);
}

Code after.

//$user->post_comment($_POST['comment']);
}

Haven't received a single spam post since. And I'm thinking about selling the intellectual property behind it.

dude that's brilliant! That's going to change the internet as we know it!

evaluate your emails chekc how many url's they have in them how many of wotever you notic ein the most spams, now when teh count gets to a certain amount lets say security level 5 email it to yourself butdont email it to teh recipient otherwise emeail to teh recipient and yourself, that is how spam assasin does it.

when you find a new trennd add it to your lookups,

make sure you check the CC and BCC etc etc for scriupt tags and code

evaluate your emails chekc how many url's they have in them how many of wotever you notic ein the most spams, now when teh count gets to a certain amount lets say security level 5 email it to yourself butdont email it to teh recipient otherwise emeail to teh recipient and yourself, that is how spam assasin does it.

Did you read any of the thread?

What is this 'interesting' blog of yours anyway lol?

If you're talking to me, the link is in my profile.

I read the 'Dreamhost: To Infinity And Beyond' article... And the last comment is spam...

Does this happen often? How does one stop stuff like that?

I don't think this topic is finished yet...

Oh and that particular comment by 'Mavadavi' is it a robot?

some of it yes

some of it yes

Presumably nothing beyond the thread title?

he said hes making a site so he can code in fuzzy logic like i sugested, he can use that to filter forum posts aswell as emails.

Few months ago I opened a SMF forum thinking it will do well... It had very little posts... So I thought to myself, find all my contacts from my email and email them a small email? It was a honest email telling them about the forum bla bla... Anyway after that my forum was hit with SPAM... And I kept banning them and deleting them, banning ips, but it just continued, same content with different IPs...

I finally deleted it lol...

Currently building a site and I am worried about SPAM again. Once it hit's, more and more comes in... hell 300:1 I would say the ratio of spammers to genuine viewers..

Any advice?

www.recaptcha.net

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.