Desktop doesn't auto refresh (Windows 7)

corbin

This is kind of an obscure question, Windows 7 is fairly new and this is a PHP forum, so I'm not exactly expecting good chances of getting an answer on this, but perhaps someone will know.

It seems I've managed to stop some service or remove some startup program entry, and now, when ever I do things on my desktop, the desktop does not reflect the changes until I refresh it (F5).  I just looked through the services, and I don't seem to have stopped anything important.  I've tried rebooting, so it's not just some weird fluke either.

Just to clarify, this is what I mean:

If I create a new text file on my desktop, it will one named "New Text Document.txt" and "New Text Document" will be highlighted.  Now, let's say I rename it to "Something.txt", it will rename fine, but the file will continue to appear as "New Text Document.txt" until I refresh the desktop.  The change is definitely happening instantly though since when I try to open "New Text Document.txt" it doesn't exist.

Weird question I know, but I'm hoping someone will happen to have done the same thing.

That is pretty weird.  If it were me I'd reinstall my video drivers first.  After that I'd changed my desktop background (it might jumpstart whatever is wrong), or set my display theme to defaults. 

If all else fails system restore to when it worked.

"If it were me I'd reinstall my video drivers first."

I can safely say it has nothing to do with video card drivers.  It's something messed up with Windows.

"After that I'd changed my desktop background (it might jumpstart whatever is wrong), or set my display theme to defaults."

Tried both of those.

"If all else fails system restore to when it worked."

Ooo!  Good idea!  I didn't think about that.  I shall try that.

Why exactly should I not use Windows 7?

Dual booting Windows Vista/Windows 7, and I prefer 7, so I use 7 most of the time.

Or was that an insult that I didn't get?  (Perhaps you were trying to imply that if I don't know how to fix that, I shouldn't use beta software?)

Anyway, system restore worked perfectly.  Still curious what I did to mess that up, but oh well.  Fixed now.

Hrmmm, I would imagine (and supposedly) it can do anything and everything Vista can do, and the XP compatibility is supposedly improved.

As for personal experience with that, I haven't tried to run any software that I know for sure doesn't work with Vista.

I have that problem with my Vista install as well, but for all folders. It only happens after I've put my laptop in sleep mode. When it wakes up it'll do that until I reboot and then everything is fine again. Weird. I've been wanting to reinstall for a while anyway, but I just haven't had the time.

I have that problem with my Vista install as well, but for all folders. It only happens after I've put my laptop in sleep mode. When it wakes up it'll do that until I reboot and then everything is fine again.

I have similar problems on my work laptop, but it's random and only on the desktop.  Like I'll save a file to the desktop and when I go there it isn't there.  I hit F5 and it shows up.  I read somewhere that this is an ATI bug, but I haven't confirmed it and I haven't upgraded my video drivers.

I do not have this issue on my home 64 bit Vista installs on my laptop or desktop. 

Another note, it only seems to happen after my laptop has been on for a few days.  A reboot always fixes it for me.

I have an NVidia card too.

Do they still have that one thing going on where you can have windows 7 for like till june/july and then it crashes every 30 minutes?

Yeah, I don't remember the details, I just know it'll be sometime around then time next year when I'll forget all about the limit and go "Ahhh fuck!"

While I agree, you have to think like a poor person that would like the latest stuff... or someone that is too busy to actually upgrade when the final version is released.

Trust me, I've had an audio card sitting on my desk that I plan to install in my computer when I get the free time.  The onboard audio gets me what I need for now and I really haven't had 5 free minutes in the past few months to actually install it.  So I get how it would be even harder to actually break down and go through a complete reinstall.  I'm just saying... it happens.

When Win 7 is finally released, I'll hang on to RC 1 for as long as possible.

I could just download a torrent of the final Win 7, but I have weird lines about software pirating.  I'll probably stick with Vista when final 7 comes out just because I'm cheap.

Yeah, I don't know why graphics drivers would have to do anything with that either...

I have noticed a couple of weird graphical bugs every now and then though that I think are driver related.

So much for 7 being 100% compatible with Vista drivers like MS said it would be haha.

Edit:  Oh, awesome!  NVidia released new drivers for my card (well the line my card is in) yesterday, and they appear to be specifically for Windows 7 lol.

• 5 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.