Interactive Website features?

YourNameHere

I am building my first really interactive website and I am at a loss as to what to features to add. It is an RPG that is a LARP (more specifically) that I am porting to being online. I am in the process of adding the necessary functionality to play the game and have added a private message system (for example) but am not sure what other users tend to expect from a site like this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Uniqueness huh? ::)

Well, it's not really a text based game and I have done my research and there are only 2 other (large) sites like this but they are REALLY expensive, otherwise I would just sign up for one of those and copy the ideas. Instead I am looking for something that will set it apart from them (I.e "Uniqueness").

Well, from what other topics of this have said previously and which I agree, any great ideas will be kept to each indiviual as if its a good idea its a lucrative idea and if its a lucrative idea, there is no reason to share it.

Anyways, what are these two sites?

Well, from what other topics of this have said previously and which I agree, any great ideas will be kept to each indiviual as if its a good idea its a lucrative idea and if its a lucrative idea, there is no reason to share it.

Anyways, what are these two sites?

What?

See that's the problem with threads like this. It boils down to "I have this really great idea that's sure to work because it's unique.  So I don't want to share the idea otherwise it will get copied.  But anyways, anybody have any ideas on how to improve on this idea?"  Problem is that nobody can really give you any kind of help, advice, tips, ideas, or anything that's really meaningful at all, without details.  Also, the whole "I'm not going to share my ideas, but I want you to share yours" philosophy has never been popular with the ladies.

Well, thanks for the helpful responses, but this has gotten blown out of proportion. You're right that I wish to withhold some details for fear of copying but I am not really asking for improved ideas. I wish to make this a fully interactive site (with a community) but am unsure of what features will achieve that goal. Like, for example, a Ajax shoutbox, a pm system, mini-games.

In conclusion, I'll just need to figure it out on my own. Thank anyway.

sorry man..."fully interactive" and "within a community" are too vague to really offer up suggestions, beyond just shooting in the dark.  A shoutbox, pm system or mini-games may or may not be suitable for your "community." How should we know?  Not blowing anything out of proportion, just sayin', we can't really help without more details, but at the same time it's understandable why you would not want to be more detailed. 

If you're so confident that your idea is so awesome, why haven't you filed a patent application yet*? Why do you think people won't "steal" your idea (that you want us to figure out, mind you) after you've launched? Competition is what keeps making products better and better. You are "stealing" other people's ideas as well, aren't you?

* Note that I'm in principle against software patents, but considering it's a legal possibility, I of course cannot deny people their lawful right to obtain and enforce such ones.

@ CV - I understand what you guys are saying and get it. I recognise that this was probubly not the right place to ask the question and thus am recanting my question. I realize that I was far too vague to recieve any useful answers.

@ Daniel0 - I dont think that my idea is "so awesome" that it will be "stolen". It is really just a first "serious" attempt at a fully interactive website.

I atually have 3-4 (in my opinion) really good ideas for different sites and plan to use the information I learn from this (probable failure) to improve upon those other ideas. So I am not so concerned about "Idea Theft". It happens all the time.

Edit: I will expand on this when I have more time.

It is really just a first "serious" attempt at a fully interactive website.

Full is really a comparison in this. You can never be fully only fuller as there will always be one more thing you could always add.

Also, first "serious" attempt by you or the internet? Although I don't know what you are thinking about making, their are some pretty full interactive websites.

@ Daniel0 - I dont think that my idea is "so awesome" that it will be "stolen".

That is exactly my point, so why not tell us what this is all about? It's not like we don't want to help you, but if we don't know what you're trying to do it will be a little difficult.

The idea is this:

You are an assassin, you then log on to the website and recieve a "Marks" info card. this info card would contain contact info and alergies info and a picture. it is then up to you to go and kill your mark with as few witnesses as possible. this can be done using Nerf weapons, water guns, anything just use your imagination. That is why there is alergy info. this is still in major planning mode so many of the liabilities, rules and other details are being ironed out. As it stands it seems that it would be a major liability so I am trying to figure out how to make it so that everyone stays safe.

That's the idea behind one of their shows.....  Sorry, beaten to it.

Not at all but thanks for the heads up. I am struggling to figure out how to set up the disclaimer and ToS.

Hrmmm, I guess as long as no one has done it before it doesn't matter lol.

You will have a problem though...  You will have to have a massive user base before people can actually find people who live nearby.

And no matter how rock solid your terms of service agreement is, unfortunately people are stupid, and for some reason courts like to side with stupid people.  If someone ends up hurting someone, your site will still probably be screwed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.