User rankings / ratings for Solved topics

gr1zzly

Okay so I'm just a newbie here and may not fully understand the workings of this forum (appologies), and indeed only started teaching myself php about a month ago, but I have a suggestion...

What if people who post 'Help needed' topics could indicate exactly which user's response helped them to solve their problem? This could then be turned into a sort of rank for the users based on their successful helps, not just how many posts they've made.

As it stands it seems that people are kind of ranked based on their 'presence' on the forum, i.e. how many posts they've made. But this doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the persons actual ability. My suggestion would provide a 'Quality over Quantity' approach to users advice.

What are people's thought's on this?

As it stands it seems that people are kind of ranked based on their 'presence' on the forum, i.e. how many posts they've made. But this doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the persons actual ability. My suggestion would provide a 'Quality over Quantity' approach to users advice.

I would agree in that that's how most people perceive it, and it shouldn't be. We did use a karma system before which is similar to what you're describing but it was disabled for a reason that I can't remember. I'm sure one of the other staff members will pop in and refresh my memory!

A grouping (rank) system has already been implemented.  See here.

Ranks are based on quality, not quantity, because we handpick who to promote to the different groups (guru, phpfreak recommended, moderator, admin), based on how long they've been here, how much they've contributed yes, but if they've contributed worthwhile stuff vs. random misc. topic stuff, etc... basically the goal is in order to get promoted, you have to have proven that you aren't just a random hit-and-run person, are willing to contribute, and you actually know wtf you're talking about.  We feel the most accurate way to promote someone based on that criteria is to hand-pick them.  Any guru+ member can nominate someone else, and any guru+ can cast a yay or nay vote for the nominee.

We do have post-based ranks in place, but they have been purposefully made ambiguous to some kind of "knowledge" assertion, so that people do not get the wrong impression.  For example, your post based rank is "Irregular", SA's is "Fanatic", Maq's is "Freak!", mine is "Insane!", etc..

Hmm.... I guess it does makes more sense having the user ranks in the moderators control! I didn't mean it to be a criticism of the system you already have in place. :D

I did see the post explaining the existing rank system before posting this topic Maq, but thanks it is very helpful to have a guide explaining it. A community needs a government I suppose, left to govern itself it would probably just fall apart.

So to all you moderators, freaks, guru's and other admin types out there you deserve a huge Thankyou and tons of respect for all the time and help you all give to the running / users of this forum!

Thanks very much  ;D

A grouping (rank) system has already been implemented.  See here.

I just realised it's missing the 'staff alumni' category (unless that has been deliberately left out for some reason or another).

It's also missing on the forums home, under users online.

I just realised it's missing the 'staff alumni' category (unless that has been deliberately left out for some reason or another).

yeah that did kinda always bug me a little, never got around to mentioning it though....kudos to nrg for reading my mind

It does for admins, so I never realized it didn't.

It's also missing on the forums home, under users online.

It only shows groups that have a different color.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.