[SOLVED] multiple monitors....got opinions?

fivestringsurf

I will be updating my computer workstation soon and I'm definitely going for 2 - 3 screens... I code alot of php in dreamweaver and flash/as3 (cs4) I just wanted to get some feedback from some folks who develop alot.

Right now I have a 4:3 (standard ratio) 19" flatscreen. I did some calculating and it seems that a 24" widescreen is extremely close to my 19" height-wise; which would be nice aesthetically if all the screens line up.

a) I could ad a 24" widescreen to have an asymetrical set up. (=24w +19)

b) I could by 2 more 19" (4:3 ratio) =(19 +19 +19)

???

Does flash/dreamweaver and other programs generally utilize the space nicely in say a 24" widescreen or do they waste space? Can you spread a program's windows out separately on separate screens with no hiccups?

I am tempted to think that 3 screens might be extremely productive...as it would be a ton of screen real estate as long as programs split up nicely.  I have never tried out or even seen a multi-screen set up in real life.

what do you guys think?

p.s. would 3 monitors require two video cards?

I've ran up to 3 monitors on my desktop before, 2 smaller standards and 1 wide. Currently I'm running dual 23" wide - and I'd never go back. I finding the ease of coding & testing is 100% easier with an extra monitor, because you can code on one screen, test/multi-task on the other(s). I'm a fan of widescreens, mainly for games/movies and more screen to go across my desk without interruptions (the bezel) Now the following is based off of a Windows OS, not Mac.

I haven't used Flash/Dreamweaver to know if they use the space, but I know most programs use most of the space & expand nicely. As for spreading one program's windows out on multiple monitors - yes, you can. But its a lot easier to accidentally click out of the program when they are spread across multiple monitors.

Another thing to look out for is the monitor colors/contrast ratios/brightness levels. I'd recommend (if applicable with budget) to get the same monitors, so you're more likely to get a uniform picture across all of the monitors. That's something I've run into before, and no matter how hard you try to mess with the settings you just can't get it exactly the same (even with tools such as the Spyder Pro.)

And yes - 3 monitors most of the time means 2 video cards. Each card typically only has 2 outputs, so you'd need a 2nd card.

Another thing to look out for is the monitor colors/contrast ratios/brightness levels. I'd recommend (if applicable with budget) to get the same monitors, so you're more likely to get a uniform picture across all of the monitors. That's something I've run into before, and no matter how hard you try to mess with the settings you just can't get it exactly the same (even with tools such as the Spyder Pro.)

Yeah, I must second his suggestion to get matching monitors....  I have a 23" LCD and a 16" CRT....  It's pretty weird.  lol.  (But of course the difference in most monitors wouldn't be that drastic.)

Yeah, I must second his suggestion to get matching monitors....  I have a 23" LCD and a 16" CRT....  It's pretty weird.  lol.  (But of course the difference in most monitors wouldn't be that drastic.)

CRT?  I havent seen one of those in quite a while. 

I use dual 19" Wide screens on mine, and have a 3rd for computer repairs.  I am not sure if you can use the onboard video for a 3rd monitor with a dual video card or not, never tried it.  That would give you 3 with only 1 extra card (dual) with the onboard video (single).  I may have to try it and see if it works.

I am not sure if you can use the onboard video for a 3rd monitor with a dual video card or not, never tried it.  That would give you 3 with only 1 extra card (dual) with the onboard video (single).  I may have to try it and see if it works.

I highly doubt it would work, because of driver conflicts?

Yeah, I still rock a CRT screen :).  lol.  It's from the computer before this one oddly enough.

As far as onboard goes, I'm 99% sure that won't work.  In fact, if I remember correctly the onboard video card usually has to be entirely disabled so that it doesn't conflict with the graphics card (driver issues, as KingPhilip said).

My dev box runs on 3 x 17" TFTs, aligned in a slight arc. Have had it this way for years, could never go back to a single (or even two) screens, it's just so much easier and quicker to get stuff done. Plus, when ever someone new visits my office, they always comment on it and how it is the best thing ever, quite funny. "Wow! You can drag windows between all of those screens?!"

I normally have my editor open in the central screen, phpMyAdmin open on the right screen and a browser open on the left for testing the code, with a bunch of terminals sprinkled around all over the place for SSH and SVN. Also, in Ubuntu you can have multiple workspaces, and I generally have three of them full with stuff, so essentially, I have 9 screens.

I normally have a second workspace with GIMP open across all three screens, image editors are great with this setup - Plenty of space for the tool panels, and even more space for your working area. My third workspace generally has IRC, and a couple of VMs running (testing in IE etc.).

At work I've got 2 identical 19" monitors, first time I'd used dual and like others I'd never go back. At home I've now started using a spare 19" monitor I had lying around. With the resolution difference though (1024x768 vs. 1280x800) it's not quite as effective, but definitely still worth having.

huh!

some good advice guys.

I didn't think about the matching color issues.  I don't know if I'll be able to get my same monitor again, but if I buy 2 more I'll make sure they are the same or at least the same brand with similar color/contrast specs.

And by the sound of it, it seems ideal if the monitors have the same verticle pixel count. (i guess?)- assuming pixels are the same size, i think most monitors are 72/inch standard. ?  I could see using two screens with big dimension differences getting weird looking with two different sized versions of the same graphic, even text.

Man it would be cool to go... (19") -(24"ws) - (19")

wouldn't fit on my desk though...I could get a wallmount.

Got any recommendations for screen mount venders?

Thanks again for all the input!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.