Google Wave

Mchl

Give them to me for free?

I know, right? :P

And once he does that, I'll let you have one for just half price ($49.90) and if you order in the next 10 minutes, you get one free! But wait, there's more! Pay online and we'll give you a -100% discount!!!

Man... I actually paid for my GMail invite...  :-[

Really? I didn't get in till a couple years ago, a friend invited me, and I was in love...

Now I wish I was in Wave

Getting Google Wave now is not as significant as getting Gmail back when it was in a closed beta, IMO. Gmail was significant because it, amongst other things, introduced 1) a lot of storage compared to competitors, and 2) threaded email. It was built on top of the existing email protocols, so you can use Gmail with all other emails. If you have a Gmail you can communicate with everybody else who has any type of email.

That is not the case with Google Wave. It's an entirely new protocol, and the number of people who have it isn't very big, so there are not very many people you can actually communicate with. Another problem is that the interface is unstable. I don't have a shit computer, but Google Wave seems very unstable with some of the large public waves. My Gmail can easily handle a conversation with 100 replies (which is the cut-off limit in Gmail by the way - after 100 replies it'll start a new conversation), but Wave doesn't even get up there before it gets sluggish.

Google Wave still needs a lot of work, and it needs a much larger adoption before it's worth anything. Right now its utility is virtually non-existent and it's not much more than a cool toy. Gmail was immediately useful when you got it, but Google Wave isn't.

tl;dr: It's overhyped and not anything special. You aren't missing out on much if you haven't got an invite. It's certainly not worth purchasing an invite for.

But, what exactly is it? I mean, the whole "Part Document Part Email Part Social Networking" sounds like it's an easier way to connect people and things and such, but I don't entirely understand exactly what it is. If it's not too much to ask, could you spare an invite for me?

I agree with Daniel - Google Wave is not immediately very useful.  It's in the midst of a rough beta phase, currently.  It slows down to a crawl after 30 or so messages.  It's not surprising - every message can contain a wide variety of media, be edited or replied to in place, and all interaction done by one member of the wave is immediately broadcast to all other members.  All using JavaScript.  It's a bit amusing to see how well people can type in real time.

On top of all that, the UI isn't very friendly, messages don't indent the way you'd expect them to, and there's at least one gaping security flaw (JavaScript injection).

I still think there's potential here, but it won't be realized anytime soon.  There are too many bugs, performance issues, and security flaws needed to be addressed to consider Wave a viable technology for the masses.  I expect it'll take at least a year to make it usable.  Probably longer.  Until then, it's a fancy tech demo.

Man... I actually paid for my GMail invite...  :-[

Really? I didn't get in till a couple years ago, a friend invited me, and I was in love...

Yeah... And about a week after that my friend told she had bazillion of spare invites... Fortunately I paid something like $0.50, so it didn't hurt me really bad...

Anyway, I signed up for Wave invite. Might be interesting.

I've started a public PHP Freaks wave for people to post all their random crap in:

https://wave.google.com/wave/#restored:wave:googlewave.com!w%252BKNv70s8IC

If that link doesn't work, just search for with:public "PHP Freaks Public Wave". I wonder how many people here that actually has got an account...

I don't, but if someone here could invite me, I would be very grateful.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.