[SOLVED by "yourNamehere"]

Let's talk about one of my favorite features on PHPFreaks

This is a great feature for everyone in this community for many reasons which have been discussed in it's proper place. #  PHP Coding >

# PHP Coding Help >

# Topic: "Topic Solved" Mod!

What if we took it a step further?

What if would could give some recognition to those who successfully answer our questions?

Before we get all competitive, let us think for a second.

-We are all trying to better ourselves at something we love "PHP".

-If you are indeed thankful to those who helped you solve an issue, announcing this would only give you a feeling of gratitude.

We all require a little pat on the back from time to time. It's just human nature that we feel appreciated.

My proposal:

It's time to give some recognition to the problem solvers

How can we do this?

After your issue has been resolved, enter the members name (OR) names, if 2 or more members successfully assisted you.

Now instead of [sOLVED]  we have [sOLVED by Modernvox]

"ATTN: i never answered any issues as i haven't the experience to do so yet, but someday i will, but you get the idea!". 8)

This of course would give coders a big ego boost (in a good way!) and posters an honest chance to pronounce there gratitude.

Who cares if it seems a bit competitive?

Every aspect of our lives is competitive.  I lift weights "a lot" and i can't even go to the gym without some schmuck approaching me with his best deadlift or bench press. It's just how we're wired.

This would turn out to be a fun addition to this already popular php site and in my opinion "there is not another php forum that even comes close to php freaks". The way we treat each other in here is second to none. It truly is a place of respect.

Let's give each other recognition for our time.

If you speak, Dan, is an exceptional human being and you all know he listens to each and every one of you.

So get on board, if you would like to see who is helping who or simply want to give that coder who has just dedicated time (from his life) to help you better yourself a pat on the back.

PHP Freaks#1 4 eva!

Modernvox > "Out"

Hmm.. I think a simple "Thanks <insert username here>! Much appreciated!" would suffice imo. I agree that it is human nature to feel appreciated (no disputes there). But from where I stand, it's not so much who gets credit as it is helping people (be it spoon feeding, or providing part of the solution and / or perhaps nudging people with links they can learn from).

It's not a bad suggestion mind you.. I'm just not sure public credit is necessary (although again, I agree that some form of appreciation is nice - one forum pet-peeve of mine is when a solution is provided, and you never hear from the OP again in that thread... probably due to that OP 'fishing' for a solution by posting the same exact thread in multiple forum sites, only to have the 'first one to provide a solution wins' kind of thing.. but that's another story for another day  :P ).

If it's a 'reputation' you're trying to get at.. I think as members stick around and participate, they'll learn who's reliable and who's not. But I do like the idea (nice screenshot salathe :) ).

That's just my opinion however.. like they say..

Opinions are like @$$holes... everyone has one.  :D

The idea of attributing credit to solving a problem has come up many times in the past, in many forms.  I don't think most of us have a problem with it per se...problem is mostly due to ambiguity in who actually helped solve the problem(s) (because there could also be more than one problem in the thread)... the easy answer to that would be to let the OP decide, but that can be (and has been) quickly shown to not be accurate enough to justify it.

I think salathe's idea somewhat shows promise: from the ss looks like he has listed all the people..but first off, just because someone posted in the thread doesn't necessarily mean they helped. 2nd, we do have a mod installed that shows all thread participants up at the top of the thread, when you go into the thread.

Hmm.. I think a simple "Thanks <insert username here>! Much appreciated!" would suffice imo. I agree that it is human nature to feel appreciated (no disputes there). But from where I stand, it's not so much who gets credit as it is helping people (be it spoon feeding, or providing part of the solution and / or perhaps nudging people with links they can learn from).

It's not a bad suggestion mind you.. I'm just not sure public credit is necessary (although again, I agree that some form of appreciation is nice - one forum pet-peeve of mine is when a solution is provided, and you never hear from the OP again in that thread... probably due to that OP 'fishing' for a solution by posting the same exact thread in multiple forum sites, only to have the 'first one to provide a solution wins' kind of thing.. but that's another story for another day  :P ).

If it's a 'reputation' you're trying to get at.. I think as members stick around and participate, they'll learn who's reliable and who's not. But I do like the idea (nice screenshot salathe :) ).

That's just my opinion however.. like they say..

Opinions are like @$$holes... everyone has one.  :D

Very well said...great insight

I would like to add that as you stated " one forum pet-peeve of mine is when a solution is provided, and you never hear from the OP again in that thread... probably due to that OP 'fishing' for a solution by posting the same exact thread in multiple forum sites, only to have the 'first one to provide a solution wins' kind of thing"

This type of thing happens a lot more than one would like to admit. And that's where the recognition comes in to play a major part when the question comes up answered by "such and such" from phpfreaks.com.

I gotta run , but i would like to respond a little more to all your responses a little later and thanks for your time and input!

Besides, who cares?

I would think you would care. When you fix/solve someones problem, don't you want to see your name displayed to all who are viewing the PHP help board? You can feel like a celebrity! When you view the PHP Help Board you will be like "Woah, I'm famous! My name is everywhere! Who would like an autograph? ;)"

fenway is past that. He's so famous people register on this forum just to brag about having their nickname in same database as fenway.

Do you actually believe fenway would post in PHPFreaks if he didn't get his own separate DB for his account name?  ;)

Besides, who cares?

I would think you would care. When you fix/solve someones problem, don't you want to see your name displayed to all who are viewing the PHP help board? You can feel like a celebrity! When you view the PHP Help Board you will be like "Woah, I'm famous! My name is everywhere! Who would like an autograph? ;)"

Link for those who can access it: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,115125.0.html

[attachment deleted by admin]

I was thinking of that exact thread when that was mentioned.. was too lazy to do the dirty work though.

Seeing as how threads are marked solved by the fact that their title begins with [sOLVED]. It seems to be potentially a PITA if you ask me..even though you could do the preg_match for a bbc open solved tag type thing, but it still doesn't look worth it.  The active users mod seems to do the job just fine.  If you're too lazy to read the entire thread and find out who the "star players" actually are then why should you even know they exist in the first place?

I'm thinking this.....

-Does the current state of the [solved] feature function as it should? The answer is of course- YES

-Does it tell us a problem or question has been fixed/answered? YES it does.

Is it effective? Absolutely!

-Can it be taken to the next level?

Of course it can.

-How?

In many ways, such as salathe's mock up of a roll over or maybe nrg_alpha's idea of a simple "Thanks <insert username here>! Most folks on here are very bright , so the skies the limit. 

-What would be some of the benefits?

To me personally , allowing OP's and Coders to interact in such a respectful way (nrg_alpha had voiced his opinion on how he hated "in my own words,  when folks run through here in a chew and screw manner") grabbing some lunch without caring to notice who served them. This wouldn't be a big deal if it were just a few here and there, but the fact is it's more like hundreds a week! (Now, i don't have actual figures on this, but my Guess-ti-mations have never been far off)

I think a simple addition to the [solved] by "You"?] feature would benefit the entire community and raise the respect level from newcomers and outsiders alike by giving recognition to the many veteran coders and those just starting out in the field. I also like the fact that keeping records of [solved by such & such] can take PHPFreaks to another level by shouting out "Here it is! Was already solved by "......" on PHPFreaks!

At the end of the day the question is this:

Are we ok with offering our time and experience to everybody and anybody knowing that we're doing good in either case OR echo them same principles BUT also Give Credit Where Credit is Due?

Let me add....Keep track of threads marked as solved and those that get lost in the breeze.

There's a lot of folks chewing and screwing.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see the point myself, personally if I solved 2 million topic's I would probably 2 million and 1 PM's asking for help (note that's against the rules), also it creates the problem where someone will post 200+ lines of code as a solution and miss a ; on a line,

and the thread creator will say "it didn't work" and someone will point out the ; and probably get the credit for it.. and the 200+ line post won't feel very good about it!

Your probably better off using a karma system.. But didn't we try that ?

I don't see the point myself, personally if I solved 2 million topic's I would probably 2 million and 1 PM's asking for help (note that's against the rules), also it creates the problem where someone will post 200+ lines of code as a solution and miss a ; on a line,

and the thread creator will say "it didn't work" and someone will point out the ; and probably get the credit for it.. and the 200+ line post won't feel very good about it!

Your probably better off using a karma system.. But didn't we try that ?

Not sure about the Karma system (Haven't been here that long I guess) I don't think the OP would give credit to the closer (the coder that finishes off a piece of code previous coder left out) I am sure the OP would give credit to ALL who added useful code:-)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.