resume writing

abazoskib

My resume has grown to be really lengthy, and I am wondering if it is frowned upon to have a resume thats 2 pages long. theres absolutely no way I could fit everything on one page. any advice? i am a programmer in a few different languages, and have been involved in a lot of different projects.

My resume has grown to be really lengthy, and I am wondering if it is frowned upon to have a resume thats 2 pages long. theres absolutely no way I could fit everything on one page. any advice? i am a programmer in a few different languages, and have been involved in a lot of different projects.

Typically, from what I've been taught about resume writing in college, it is much better to have ONLY one page.  Anything over one page is no longer a resume and is then considered a portfolio.  So if you only have a 3 page "portfolio", I'd say you have a lot more work to do.

If you really do have a lot of different projects, then I'd create a large portfolio to cover ALL of them.  Then I'd pick the best 3 or 4 to put on your actual resume.  Not exactly the "best" ones... but .. the best examples of work to show to an employer that you are qualified to do what they are hiring you for.

a resume should summarize your credentials - education, certification, your contact info, and your experience. If you are showcasing your projects on your resume - this is NOT a resume.

2 pages shouldn't hurt you though. My sister works in human resources and she doesn't penalize people for having a longer than usual resume, but she does in fact, prefer one page resumes.

A rule of thumb: if you have a lot of stuff to write down - keep it short. If you don't have much to write - your bullshit a paragraph per achievement etc.

My resume is 2 pages, and I thought that was pretty much a standard.  It is very hard to fit experience/education/skillset on 1 page.

Yea exactly. Thanks, I might just do two pages, and hope that they dont get angry with me. I also have a feeling that out of college, you dont want more than one page because otherwise it turns into a list of all the clubs you were in. I feel like with valid work experience, its ok to have more than a page..any thoughts?

I'd say it depends on what you're going to use it for. If it's for displaying on e.g. your website, I think it's perfectly legitimate making it span over many pages. If you're applying for a job that isn't listed anywhere, I don't think size matters so much either. Of course still while omitting irrelevant shit like "When I was 10 years old I mowed my neighbor's lawn every Saturday".

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.