Solo Developer - VCS Advice

plastik77

Hi, I'm looking for some guidance on version control. I'm a solo developer and although I work with a couple of designers, I'm the only one writing and modifying code. I need to get a version control system up and running and I want to integrate it with my office server (Mac OS X server), so working locally would mean working (developing on a Ubuntu machine) with files on the office server, and commits to the web server would involve the office server pushing the files to the web server (via FTP or SSH etc).

Can anyone give me some advice on the above set up and which software would might be best suited (i'm leaning towards Git at the moment)?

Thanks for the reply Premiso. Yeah, I've used TortoiseSVN before on Windows and it was fairly straightforward, although I only used it for local development on my PC - this time I want to be able to work on the Mac server and link it up to my web server, so i'm a little bit unsure of the best way to go about this.

I've had to work locally on my machine as the Mac server only has PHP4 and MySQL4 available, so all my local development work is run via a LAMP setup on my own machine. I've now convinced my work to upgrade the Mac server to Leopard, which means I can start using it for all my development work. That's why I am now in a position to try and get a good development/testing environment set up with version control

I've had to work locally on my machine as the Mac server only has PHP4 and MySQL4 available, so all my local development work is run via a LAMP setup on my own machine. I've now convinced my work to upgrade the Mac server to Leopard, which means I can start using it for all my development work. That's why I am now in a position to try and get a good development/testing environment set up with version control

That doesn't matter. I dont use a local webserver (i.e. local server or workstation) for testing code. Use a proper online webserver with test domains. The local site files are all located on the office server, everybody has mapped drives to the files. When files are saved upload them to the webserver and view online. CVS is fine in this setup.

Can anyone give me some advice on the above set up and which software would might be best suited (i'm leaning towards Git at the moment)?

Git and Mercurial both are to be considered the "new popular" subversion services.  They both provide excellent branching and merging mechanisms.  Integration into SVN is also a plus (at least for Git AFAIK).  As far as SVN, there are many nice plugins that you can obtain for your IDE (ie: subclipse for Eclipse) and overall it's pretty intuitive and easy to use.

EDIT: I didn't see that your Subject was entitled VCS, I assume you meant CVS?

Neil, I suppose I didn't really think of doing all my testing on the remote web server. I'm used to testing things locally then uploading it. I think I still need to get my head round how version control works and the (automated if possible) synchronisation of files between local and remote servers - maybe that's something that's handled differently depending on which CVS I go with, whether it be Git or SVN or whatever.

Why not try a whole bunch of different systems and see which works best for you?

Personally, the main reason why I don't like (bad choice of words, subversion works and I do like it) subversion is because if I am "offline" (out and about, the server loses connectivity, wifi is off to save battery, whatever) then it makes life difficult because I can't commit changes. In those situation, with Git, my work flow isn't altered because I can commit changes locally without being online then let the remote server "catch up" (by pushing to it) when I do get online.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I might start with svn then maybe move on to Git further down the line. Actually, the more I think about it, I might be better setting up the svn server directly on the web server, as the office server isn't going to be used for testing or anything, it will really just be a back up repository for files. I have root access to the web server (linux VPS), so i could install and set up SVN, then checkout files to my own machine whenever I need to do development work, before committing changes back to the web server. The office server could potentially just be updated periodically (via svn update), just to ensure the files are up to date. Do you think this makes more sense?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.