Why web development?

Alex

But yeah.. Living behind my pc gets a little old sometimes. And you have to make some sacrifices, eventually. For example my GF recently started complaining that her back hurts in that awkward position under my workstation desk. Dunno if I should get a higher desk or a smaller GF.. Either way it is going to cost me. But like I said, sacrifices will have to made for this type of lifestyle. I made a haiku. I call it "Web Developer blues":

girlfriend fed up

money spent on beer

new girlfriend mouse-controllable

Got a nice little laugh out of that.  You need a midget (or should I say "little person")

What is she doing under the desk.

Yoga. Or at least that's what I tell her. She didn't know any, so I had to teach her. She's pretty good at it now though. I just hope I can talk her out of joining the local Yoga club or I am anticipating some funny faces at the grocery store. I tell her she's already so damn good at it, why make other people jealous. And that is no lie either. More haiku:

house in small village

girlfriend showed special trick

many new friends

For those of you thinking an outdoor trade may have been the route to go.  No.  No.  No!

Computers may be hard on the eyes, but my dad has more or less been doing construction type deals since 18.  He's now in his fifties.  He has all sorts of aches and pains and according to my mom sometimes groans painfully while sleeping.

Like I said, I went on a lot of jobs with him when I was younger and it's hard work the human body isn't meant to do for years on end.

For those of you thinking an outdoor trade may have been the route to go.  No.  No.  No!

Computers may be hard on the eyes, but my dad has more or less been doing construction type deals since 18.  He's now in his fifties.  He has all sorts of aches and pains and according to my mom sometimes groans painfully while sleeping.

Like I said, I went on a lot of jobs with him when I was younger and it's hard work the human body isn't meant to do for years on end.

Then again, the human body is suprisingly adaptive. Once you're in shape, your body should handle physical labor well. Granted, as we age, our bodies start to go down hill.. so it's only reasonable that we won't be able to keep up the pace for ever.. sooner or later, if push comes to shove, our bodies will ultimately send a memo declaring quits.

My uncle has been building houses for god knows how long (as long as I can remember). He's now in his late fifties and is starting to slow down (this is to be expected). How much more does he have in him? Who knows... but as it stands, he seems to be in great shape (especially for his age). So it might be circumstancial on what kind of labor, how long, and any history of accidents that plague someone for the rest of their lives (if applicable).

I got my first PC around 1999.

Before that I used to mess around with Pascal/QBASIC/C/C++ at the school computer lab on my own. Funny thing is I have never, in my life, taken computing as a subject haha but it seemed so appealing.

Anyway, after the PC in 99, I used to use the net a lot and I really got into design, almost sat for the Adobe Certified Expert test because I was so into it.

Then I wanted to turn the designs into HTML so I started mucking about with HTML.

Of course, that led me to CSS. I eventually got sick of CSS because it's so browser depedant and I wanted something dynamic so I got into JavaScript for a bit.

Again, JavaScript was browser dependant and that really annoyed me so around 2002-2003, I thought I'd give PHP a shot since it seemed so easy to get started with and the syntax was somewhat similar to C.

I finally settled with PHP because unlike client side languages, it behaves as expected on almost any environment.

I also liked the fact that I could quickly implement ideas in PHP because it's such a light language. Really easy to build working prototypes.

I started freelancing with PHP around 2005 and loved it.

Took a small break from all scripting for about two years, beginning around 2007 to sort out some personal matters.

I started messing with Ruby On Rails about 1.5 years ago just for fun. Mostly experimenting with things. I love their philosophy and the Ruby language is pretty awesome IMO. So I'm in between PHP and Rails at the moment.

Wow...long post :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.