send a pm but its not in the outbox

It is possible that you unchecked (or was default unchecked) the box at the bottom of that page:

[X]  Save a copy in my outbox

I'd wait a few days, and then check with the user you sent it to, seeing if they got it (or talk to one of the admins)

Just to confirm what KingPhilip was saying the options is definatately off by default. So unless you change the option in your settings you will not get a copy of the message in your outbox. I know this because I asked a very similar question awhile back. Just one cautionary note, unsolicited PM's can very likely get you ignored. Several times I've had people PM me because I have helped them on a previous topic, this often results in me not bothering to reply to new topics as I do not like being hassled. Of course if the PM is not related specificly to a thread they haven't replied to in the last 10 minutes and you have a reason to PM the person then this doesn't apply.

I just checked the database. Your PM has been sent. It has deleted_by_sender=1 (which is equivalent to having not chosen "save in outbox") so that's why you cannot see it.

As for blocking, yes it is possible to block PMs from all or selected members, but you would be able to see that when you try sending.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.