Get Zipcode

The Little Guy

Is there a way for me to get the users current zip code of where they are with their laptop, or desktop?

So, say I am in a Starbucks in the zip code: 12345

When you go to my site and do a search for surrounding areas, it would automatically fill the zip code box with 12345

How can this be done?

The IP provided by the ISP will not be your curent location. In fact my IP locates to London UK which is over 200 miles away.

So, this is not a viable solution to the question.

Yes it is, as it is the only possible method to automatically detect the zip code. As areas other than UK seldom have frame servers more than ~2-20Mi away, then the Zip code should be within a fair accuracy, if not completely correct.

Yes it is, as it is the only possible method to automatically detect the zip code. As areas other than UK seldom have frame servers more than ~2-20Mi away, then the Zip code should be within a fair accuracy, if not completely correct.

True, it'll give you a fair .. and probably accurate position to begin a radial search from, but that's just it.. you would have to perform a radial search from that point, get all the zipcodes within X miles (in which X is unknown).. and guess logically (somehow) from the responses.

That's pretty much.. a "half-assed" accurate.  And something half-assed is never something to rely on.

You see this thing used all the time on like cheap ass dating sites in the uk. It'll say things like 'meet the perfect girl in Bristol'. I'm no where fuc**** near Bristol for god sake, and not that I use dating sites, just had to make a few for clients.

If you want a recordset and not a poor calculation based off of where a last user was seen with the IP, then something such as Maxmind GeoIP's pro database will provide something like, 97-99.7% accuracy? But their free one (along with a few other GeoIP services) should be sufficient enough, there's no need for such a strong solution to replace what a user should do.

The "Find at date at xxx" thing is ironically funny, first time I saw it, it was like "Oh, clever!" But then again maybe people would be willing to visit ONE city over for.... Well, lets leave it at there :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.