A2Hosting - odd traffic patterns?

proggR

I've already talked to A2 about this but they haven't really done anything. I'm only 6 days into a new month and its saying I've used 14.5 GB of traffic of my allotted 100. That would translate into about 10000 hits of every piece of content I have available for viewing. So either I need to put ads on my site and fast or something is messed up.

The traffic graphs look funky too. Almost as if they're sine waves. I'm attaching a picture of the traffic. Maybe someone here has had something similar happen. I'm going to talk to them again tonight but getting responses from the chat was slow before so I'm hoping I can do something on my end.

Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I wouldn't say the pattern itself is that unusual, without an x scale it's difficult to say, but I'd imagine the peaks are 'prime time' in whatever country your site is most viewed from and the troughs are in the middle of the night in that time zone. Without knowing more about the type of content on the site it's difficult to say, it's possible your content is being hot-linked or something like that. Having said that, 14.5GB is a large amount of data for 6 days, so whatever it was would have to be on a fairly popular site. You could probably track this down if you have access to the right type of logs, if you don't then your hosting companies staff are the only way to go.

I wouldn't say the pattern itself is that unusual, without an x scale it's difficult to say, but I'd imagine the peaks are 'prime time' in whatever country your site is most viewed from and the troughs are in the middle of the night in that time zone. Without knowing more about the type of content on the site it's difficult to say, it's possible your content is being hot-linked or something like that. Having said that, 14.5GB is a large amount of data for 6 days, so whatever it was would have to be on a fairly popular site. You could probably track this down if you have access to the right type of logs, if you don't then your hosting companies staff are the only way to go.

Its really not a popular site I'm sure. Its just a personal site with some contact information. I plan on adding a portfolio and using it as a platform for small web development jobs. Right now its all static text and nothing special. The X scale was over a week. It does co-relate to day and night but why it would be such a consistent pattern I don't know. It was like this last month but I thought I'd let it wait until the month was up and see if it was just some "new site" kinda thing. I've never used a VPS before so I don't know. Could I somehow be linked to another VPS for traffic? If I am I'm glad I only paid for 6 months.

almost 15GB of traffic is an afwul lot.

My site had 88MB traffic last month, equals to 6500 hits. But ofcourse my site is nothing, it almost doesn't have content and most certainly doesn't have a lot visitors, most of my visitors come from this site :P

Ofcourse I do not know how many visitros you have. And I don't really understand the graph; if it's displayed like this it looks as if there is no moment that you have 0 visitors? That there is a constant stream of data?

Ya that's what it seems to me too. I'll talk to them tonight and post what I get. The whole thing is confusing. I should check if they have overage fees too. That's really what I'm afraid of happening.

Get a copy of your web (apache) logs and run webalizer on them.

They may already have webalizer or awstats in place, and this should give you a good idea of what is taking up the bandwidth.

I second that. That graph shouldn't be trusted on final word. Request the logs if need be they're not available, by hand or parsed via a log analyser should tell you WHO is doing WHAT at the time, and most importantly the bandwidth spread. It could be a freak bot, or the graph is mistaken.

Yeah, Although bar graphs you can see the similarity in one of my hourly charts:

1z73deb.png

I mean look at (Atleast akamai's) global internet usage chart:

geo1.png

If you looked at it on a monthly usage, It'd match the sine pattern you mentioned fairly well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.