any webhost you know for $2 to $3 a month?

xcoderx

guys any good webhost you know that has plans within $2 to $3 usd a month with unlimited webspace and bandwidth? and with no downtime? i tried about 3 indian hosts like hoixindia and ewebguru etc, but all crappy,  one has good plan with affordable price and one has crappy plan with more demand and both not at all reliable and mostly at night the sites disappear. :P

i been googling around but do not want to take chance buying it just in any site, if anyone know a host with affordable price and unlimited plan then please share here or pm me if its violating freaks rules incase.

Unlimited space and bandwidth?  No such thing.

There are free shared hosting accounts, but like seventheyejosh intimated, you get what you pay for.  Look into Awardspace.  I used them once a few years ago.  They were pretty decent for a free host.

1and1 is having a special right now.  50% off hosting packaged for 6 months.  $3.49/month and up.  'Unlimited' (huurrrrf) bandwidth.  Probably the best you will find in the "I would rather buy another whopper this month than get real hosting" area.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hosting;jsessionid=8D923179C5E833FC334EC9ABD55688CC.TCpfix140b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

You do know, for $0/month with infinite configuration and hardware specs, you can host the server on your internet connection (Most  allow it;) some ISPs are Nazis on bandwidth limits, but it'll be guarenteed better than any free/cheap host you'll find out there. Hell you could buy/find/inherit an old box to keep running 24/7 cheaply 'nough.

You do know, for $0/month with infinite configuration and hardware specs, you can host the server on your internet connection (Most  allow it;) some ISPs are Nazis on bandwidth limits, but it'll be guarenteed better than any free/cheap host you'll find out there. Hell you could buy/find/inherit an old box to keep running 24/7 cheaply 'nough.

That is of course providing you know what you are doing.  xcoderx definitely does not fit in this box.

That is of course providing you know what you are doing.  xcoderx definitely does not fit in this box.

very true, besides the fact that if you do any kind of p2p your website will load ultra slow for people, you would have a dynamic ip address so everytime your ip changes your site goes down till you fix it, (daily for some hosts). and if you get any real amount of traffic to your site your internet will turn into a giant pile of poo. PLUS you have plenty of security issues to deal with.

just pay the 3 dollars a month, not that bad. You almost pay that much in electricity for leaving a computer on alll day and all night.

@Mammoth

Trust me, My monster of a computer running F@H for 24 hours cost only a $0.5/ day maximum (It all comes down to the specs of your PSU, it'll actually define the maximum power pull it can do, your computer will never even draw the spec. max.)

A cheap server box with no monitor meant for the task will cost nearly nothing, I ran 2-3 nodes for a personal distributed project task on request and it took nothing out of my power bill.

Security wise, What is wrong? You can literally do what you wish, such as download a suhosin patched version of PHP, and you can install whatever patches/configurations you wish. You cannot do that on a shared host, can you? Further there is nothing attached to your PC, Therefor if one site on the shared host goes down to an attack, You may be toast. But on your own host, your site is not compromised.

EDIT: No-IP.com and a pile of free services help you relinquish the dynamic IP problem, It's trivial if you know what you're doing.

You are completely wrong on most ISPs letting you run a server unless you pay their extra fees.  Cox and Verizon both prohibit use of using their internet as a server unless you pay an extra 40$ or so a month, unless of course, you don't consider Cox and Verizon as big ISPs.

You are completely wrong on most ISPs letting you run a server unless you pay their extra fees.  Cox and Verizon both prohibit use of using their internet as a server unless you pay an extra 40$ or so a month, unless of course, you don't consider Cox and Verizon as big ISPs.

I don't live in the states, so I wouldn't be able to quote myself for that, but Comcast, RR, AT&T seem to allow them (Friends had done it a lot). Regardless for free you can run it on any other available port provided you set up the DNSR records for them, unless those are throttled too (Man I'm happy I don't live there :P).

you can configure apache to run on something other than :80 then setup your domain to point at the specified port. so you can get around paying extra.

we plugged in a server with an 120w power supply and reletivly low stats (cant remember them)

electic bill jumped up 20$. But i live in cali and electricity is ultra expensive right now.

oni-kun: ever dealt with ddos? good luck getting through that on your home internet connection. not only would your site go down your internet connection would go down. if its a major host like that they can dedicate the bandwidth and get it going again with minimal downtime. Plus they have people sitting around basically just waiting for stuff like that to happen. So its dealt with much more quickly and your site isnt down until you get home from work. Plus even prehardened distros can be pretty vulnerable to attacks. And the webhosts usually have weekly or bi weekly backups. so even if the worst happens you shouldnt be set back too far.

i vote to skip out on one of your burgers this month, so you can afford hosting, and let a hosting company deal with all the headaches. Then you can concentrate on your web development.

also the dns servers like no-ip.org and whatnot cost like 30$ a year for a domain name. others cost like $3 or $4 bucks.

@Mammoth

No-IP supports free subdomains (Last I used them) and is transparent regardlessly on your domain, As per DDOS you can easily use an IDS, I'm sure that's not so hard.

May as well end this debate on this post though, As regardless prices can be matched either way, a cheaphost may have bad support from time to time, but it's much better support than a computer newbie would get doing it him/herserlf. My current power supplier charges $0.0627/kWh, I'm sure it's a lot lower for my uses if I were to do something like that.

ids doesnt always work, and it doesnt help against distributed denial of service. too survive a ddos you pretty much just have to have a really bad ass internet connection, which costs thousands of dollars.

but your right, this debate could be endless. (fortunately im pretty bored).

Either way works, just depends on your knowledge, situation and how much time your willing to invest.

also, inmotionhosting support is excellent. best ive seen so far, way better than go daddy. much better than 1&1 as well. they will change configuration in apache for your cheap hosting... or just about anything else ive asked. I highly recommend them.

hopefully the op got some ideas. Cheers!

i have made up my mind for awardspace, what do you guys suggest? any bad experience with them? the only thing i want that the site dont disappear when im sleeping at night :-)

I've actually tried awardspace many many years ago when I was looking for a quick host for a project, It seems to be at the very top in "Quality free host" lists and things that I've seen, Atleast of the time.

Only thing I disliked about it is its bandwidth, but free you can't complain with. Just expect things to be a bit more difficult setting it up, and the settings you should definitely brush up on them (unless the host actually disables the phpinfo command, which some ironically do).

EDIT:

http://www.awardspace.com/web-hosting/free-shared-hosting

That doesn't look too bad, but if you look, 5GBs/mo transfer and 10MB for SQL. So all in  all you'll be teaching yourself efficiency on your scripts, as you're forced to. :P

So true...

On an unrelated note, does anyone else here use the new Opera Mini for the iPhone? It is blazing!

i use the new opera mini on my n70 and for downloading and stuff i use opera 8.65 :-)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.