Best language for a video game?

merveilles

So I'm making a snes/Zelda inspired video game. :) My plan right now is to use a mix of things... Mostly Javascript, and then PHP, MySQL, XHTML, and CSS. I was thinking I would probably use Flash for parts that are super dependent on timing. Lately though I've been wondering if I'm going to have problems once my game gets more complicated. Would it be better to just write the entire game in Java and then use an applet or whatever they are to put it on a webpage? I don't know ANY Java though, so it would take me a while to rewrite everything I've made so far... What do you guys think??

Or you could use a decent game engine, with the good ol' SNES graphics, check this out.

It's a great engine, powered by JavaScript. It has it's own API which can take a bit to get used to, but it's very good to code for. It works a treat. I've made a few simple games in it. The guys on the forum are great too, they'll help you out if you get stuck. (I'm Jaysonic over there :D).

That's just another option, depends how you want your game to run.

If Javascript is capable enough I would rather keep writing it how I am.. I'm just worried if the game gets really complicated that Javascript wouldn't be able to handle everything/load things right/get the timing right/etc...

That site looks interesting.. and I'll probably look at the code if I can, but I really want to make this entire game from scratch. :) I am using the jQuery library though..

you mis-understand sphere. you do write the game from scratch. sphere is the engine, that reads the javascript and execufes the game. download it, then go on the forums and download the game aquatis, then you'll see what javascript is capable of. its amazing.

If Javascript is capable enough

http://code.google.com/p/o3d/ -- does this seem capable enough to you?

So those applications are written in Javascript code?? I didn't know Javascript was already complicated enough for pretty good 3D graphics.. This is a relief.. :) and inspiration :D So I'm guessing I don't even need to use Flash at all? I was really hoping I could make the entire game using only those web languages..

you mis-understand sphere. you do write the game from scratch. sphere is the engine, that reads the javascript and execufes the game. download it, then go on the forums and download the game aquatis, then you'll see what javascript is capable of. its amazing.

I've only reached the start screen so far, but it's pretty amazing. :D That game is completely written in Javascript?

Also.. (all of this is so new to me! :o) I really want my game to play in the browser though.. Would it be possible to make a game like Aquatis and it plays the same in the browser?

I've only reached the start screen so far, but it's pretty amazing. :D That game is completely written in Javascript?

Also.. (all of this is so new to me! :o) I really want my game to play in the browser though.. Would it be possible to make a game like Aquatis and it plays the same in the browser?

It IS possible, but remember not everyone will be able to load it.

https://www.khronos.org/webgl/wiki/Getting_a_WebGL_Implementation

Well according to KingPhilip you can, never heard of WebGL though, so that's new to me too.

And yes, that game is written completely in JavaScript, as well as the Sphere API (which are just functions, but only related to Sphere). As well as making a game like that, you can implement networking into your game. There have been a few people on the forum getting it working, where you can play and see other people walking around. It was pretty cool, kind of like a MMORPG. But it is difficult to achieve.

And Aquatis is a very complex game, there would be thousands of lines of code behind it. It's not easy to make a game, but it is pretty cool.

As well as making a game like that, you can implement networking into your game. There have been a few people on the forum getting it working, where you can play and see other people walking around. It was pretty cool, kind of like a MMORPG. But it is difficult to achieve.

And Aquatis is a very complex game, there would be thousands of lines of code behind it. It's not easy to make a game, but it is pretty cool.

I might add some sort of MMO elements eventually.. right now though I'm already overwhelmed. So far I have at least a thousand lines of code and I don't even have all of the basic functions working yet! o_O You don't even realize just selecting items in a certain direction on a start screen is difficult until you try to do it.. lol

It IS possible, but remember not everyone will be able to load it.

https://www.khronos.org/webgl/wiki/Getting_a_WebGL_Implementation

I'm not completely sure, but isn't WebGL for 3D graphics? My entire game will probably be in 2D..

btw, thanks for all the replies so far! :D

As well as making a game like that, you can implement networking into your game. There have been a few people on the forum getting it working, where you can play and see other people walking around. It was pretty cool, kind of like a MMORPG. But it is difficult to achieve.

I might add some sort of MMO elements eventually.. right now though I'm already overwhelmed. So far I have at least a thousand lines of code and I don't even have all of the basic functions working yet! o_O You don't even realize just selecting items in a certain direction on a start screen is difficult until you try to do it.. lol

True, there is more to it then meets the eye. It's good fun though, and you can learn a lot from doing it.

So I'm making a snes/Zelda inspired video game. :) My plan right now is to use a mix of things... Mostly Javascript, and then PHP, MySQL, XHTML, and CSS. I was thinking I would probably use Flash for parts that are super dependent on timing. Lately though I've been wondering if I'm going to have problems once my game gets more complicated. Would it be better to just write the entire game in Java and then use an applet or whatever they are to put it on a webpage? I don't know ANY Java though, so it would take me a while to rewrite everything I've made so far... What do you guys think??

Stick with what you are doing or move to Flash, but don't bother with Java. Is there a reason you didn't use Flash to begin with?

- Stede

Stick with what you are doing or move to Flash, but don't bother with Java. Is there a reason you didn't use Flash to begin with?

Mainly because I don't know how to write a Flash program.. And because some of the things I want to do I don't think are possible in Flash..

Mainly because I don't know how to write a Flash program.. And because some of the things I want to do I don't think are possible in Flash..

ActionScript for Multiplayer Games & Virtual Worlds

Such as?

Also, ActionScript and JavaScript share a lot of similarities due to their shared lineage.

Such as?

Also, ActionScript and JavaScript share a lot of similarities due to their shared lineage.

Hmm... I think the main reason is just that I don't know how to write anything in Flash. If Flash would work a lot better than what I'm doing now (combining Javascript/PHP/XHTML/CSS) then I might switch to that..

Such as?

Hmm... I think the main reason is just that I don't know how to write anything in Flash. If Flash would work a lot better than what I'm doing now (combining Javascript/PHP/XHTML/CSS) then I might switch to that..

flash would be a lot easier than that combo, yes.  I mean that's more or less the sort of thing it was built for: animation, interactive graphics and effects.  Actionscript is a very powerful in-house language.  Actionscript has a lot of the same or similar syntax as JS and it is an object-oriented scripting language...only main difference is the "DOM" of a flash environment is not really the same as a browser, so that will take some getting used to.  You will still need to utilize php or some other server-side language if you're wanting to get a multi-player experience, or save score/progress etc...but flash can talk to the server easy enough.  Common tutorial for that you can look up is a flash guestbook/address book, or chatroom type tut (for the flash-server interaction part). 

You can go to like for instance http://www.newgrounds.com/game/  to see a ton of user submitted flash games, get an idea of what flash can do. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.