I'm trying to break down a shopping cart (ecommerce app) into small parts

silverglade

I find it sort of disturbing that you're charging people money to do this while you ask other people how to do it and while you're looking for a teacher. Borderline scamming if you ask me. If I'm paying someone to do a job for me, I expect they're competent enough to do it without having a teacher at their side.

I find it sort of disturbing that you're charging people money to do this while you ask other people how to do it and while you're looking for a teacher. Borderline scamming if you ask me. If I'm paying someone to do a job for me, I expect they're competent enough to do it without having a teacher at their side.

I often laugh a little inside when looking at the freelance board. I mean, you people do realize people can search the board for your threads?

The first thing I would do if I where to ever hire someone from the freelance board would be to search through all the posts seeing if they are asking or answering questions.

ok so it COULD be kind of misleading. I say i have experience with "MYSQL and PHP applications", which is basically, an email form, a registration, a database update form, and maybe a few other small things. So I wasn't exactly lying, I just maybe came across as being some kind of expert. Anyway, the fact is, I'm charging $499 for a 10 page website with some php functionality. That's it. Im not "borderline scamming". If I was an expert in php I wouldn't need a teacher or this website, but the fact is, I'm not a php expert, and when I ask a newbie question like "can I break down a shopping cart or can someone help me", I don't expect the website Administrators to start flaming me. I am selling design, not php, so why am I not able to ask a php question on a php website?

Your post in the freelance board doesn't once state explicitly (nor even implies IMO) that you will simply be doing the design side of things. You advertise that you will make a 'custom website'. Your 'About Me' section states that you are a 'web designer / developer' and also further down on the page you state 'PHP is the main language I use for the websites I create.'. Your resume claims you have created two complete database driven sites. Overall I would say you are giving the impression you are capable of something which you are clearly not.

You should consider advertising yourself as a web designer and then perhaps mention that you have basic experience in PHP.

P.S. Just out of interest, how old are you? Your site seems to imply that you graduated with a degree in 1997, which would seem to make you at the minimum 30. This really seem at odds with you clause of "My tutor must be male because I have a girlfriend" in your tutor post. Not to mention it also seems at odds with the amount of money that you claim you need to earn in order to live.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.