is it illegal to talk bad of a company?

Jocka

I just happened to be on this website while I was having this argument. I couldn't find anything on google about it.

I don't believe that legally anything could be done about talking bad about a company is there? Let's say ur just mad about your day and your like "NEVER WORK FOR ((company name)) THEY CHEAT LIE STEAL.." etc etc..

Does anyone know if this is illegal? I imagine you could possibly be hit with like some defamation of character lawsuit but given that there really could be no "damages" that come of this, I don't see how they COULD sue.

Any thoughts on this?

Right, which falls under defamation of character. But by law they can only sue for damages. I suppose saying they cheat lie or steal could be libel or slander. But lets say you just put something like:

"My supervisor always rambles on about how stupid clients are. ((Company name)) doesn't seem to have any respect for their clients or any of their employees, in my opinion."

That statement may be damaging in some way if a client reads it. But in court I think it'd be hard to prove either way that it is a true or false statement. Seems like it would be a waste of money to drag through court over nothing.

That statement may be damaging in some way if a client reads it. But in court I think it'd be hard to prove either way that it is a true or false statement. Seems like it would be a waste of money to drag through court over nothing.

Perhaps not nothing if your slanderous comments were to inadvertently loose the company a valuable contract, for example. Sounds like you're not debating whether it's legal or not, but whether it can be proven. Methodical serial killers happen to take that same approach. Obviously that's totally blown out of proportion, but if admittedly you can see yourself something is slander, then surely that's answered your own question?

I've said things but nothing aimed directly at a particular person or company. And nothing that could not be proven, therefore not "slander". Im extremely careful about What I say.

By legal definition, the person making the comments have to be proven guilty. Lets say u. Posted anonymous. Would that make that website it is posted on liable?

I don't believe that legally anything could be done about talking bad about a company is there?

I've said things but nothing aimed directly at a particular person or company

You have just contradicted yourself.

If you have posted bad comments on the Internet about your company in a moment of frustration then you are a silly boy. If they suspect it is you I would be worried no matter what the legal standing is.

How did I contradict myself? I'm not asking because I made comments, I'm asking to better understand how it works.

I just don't understand if there is a line that can't be crossed when it comes to fact. If u make somethin up, ok I get it. But if it is fact can they really do anything?

In the States, libel and slander can be sought if the company/person can show that the statements are false and damages were a result of what was written or said.

So, saying "I think Mr. Thompson is an asshole" isn't slander.  Neither is saying "Mr. Thompson is a known rapist who can only derive sexual pleasure when he chokes or burns himself" unless it can be shown that the statement is false and causes damages to Mr. Thompson or his business (this is where it gets tricky - a tarnished reputation can be considered damages in the eyes of the court, especially if that reputation drives business).

In short, insults, criticism, and parody, by themselves, aren't libel/slander.  That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to write negative things about others.

Yes, they can still sue you, forcing you to spend a fortune defending yourself and proving what you said is a fact. The burden of proof would be on you, since you are the one making the assertion.

This is a good point.  Even if something isn't slanderous, that won't stop people/companies with deep pockets from attempting to come after you.  Even if the case would be thrown out at the first hearing, they'd at least force you to hire representation and go through all the pomp and circumstance.  And, naturally, they'd try to delay the process as much as possible in order to make your legal costs go up as much as possible.

Still, a lot of companies won't waste their time.  People bitch about companies all the time.  So long as it doesn't potentially impact their bottom line by a significant amount or causes an inordinate amount of embarrassment, I doubt they'd care.

How did I contradict myself? I'm not asking because I made comments, I'm asking to better understand how it works.

Sorry, my bad. I thought that you had posted something about your company online and they were on to you. Like the above posts suggest, if you had and they had reason to suspect you, bet your bottom dollar they would take action. Loads of people have been sacked in the UK for putting crap on Facebook as harmless as, 'Im bored' in work time, not even offending anyone ,or comments resulting in loss to the company.

Im just thinking why you would ask such a question? Are you planning on an online verbal rampage against someone?

In the States, libel and slander can be sought if the company/person can show that the statements are false and damages were a result of what was written or said.

In the States someone will sue you for damages if you fart in an elevator next to them. Yes, i've seen that Judge Judy programme! I can't believe what people take to court in the US. They need to grow up. Sorry if you're a decent American citizen, no offence.

No I don't intend to go on a rampage lol. Although I hae a grudge, I'm not gonna go make myself look like an idiot.

What's weird is in the U.S. we have the BBB (better business bureau) u can complain to but if u complain publically its a crime? According to the law, a company is not allowed to "retaliate" so where is the difference between reporting too bbb and going public?

The bbb is supposed to make all complaints public anyway. So we can only complain if its thru the government?

In the States someone will sue you for damages if you fart in an elevator next to them. Yes, i've seen that Judge Judy programme! I can't believe what people take to court in the US. They need to grow up. Sorry if you're a decent American citizen, no offence.

Eh, it's not as bad as you think.  For one, you have to remember that the court TV shows are there for entertainment.  While the cases are real, they deliberately pick a lot of the crazy/dumb ones.  Also remember that just because you have the right to sue, it doesn't mean you'll be successful.  Judges toss out cases all the time.

Small claims cases, which is what is shown on TV, is the cesspool of our legal systems.  There's no real need for representation, and there's no screening process before they get to a judge.  Because of that, it's usually a whole bunch of nonsense.

Eh, it's not as bad as you think.  For one, you have to remember that the court TV shows are there for entertainment.  While the cases are real, they deliberately pick a lot of the crazy/dumb ones.  Also remember that just because you have the right to sue, it doesn't mean you'll be successful.  Judges toss out cases all the time.

Small claims cases, which is what is shown on TV, is the cesspool of our legal systems.  There's no real need for representation, and there's no screening process before they get to a judge.  Because of that, it's usually a whole bunch of nonsense.

Don't forget the fact that they're paid for their appearance, and because it's small claims court in most cases they really don't care if they win or those; they're getting paid regardless, so they're just there to put on a show.

Yes, they can still sue you, forcing you to spend a fortune defending yourself and proving what you said is a fact. The burden of proof would be on you, since you are the one making the assertion.

Hehe ... I did that to an engineer who took too long to draw up plans, I when to my solicitor and requested he refund $100, he dug in and said it was my fault i didn't receive the supposed plans....anyhow it cost him over $2,000 defending it .....haha, typical commoners - too stupid to back down

Don't forget the fact that they're paid for their appearance, and because it's small claims court in most cases they really don't care if they win or those; they're getting paid regardless, so they're just there to put on a show.

Knobs

Aha! I cringe (never) watching that programme!

Hehe ... I did that to an engineer who took too long to draw up plans, I when to my solicitor and requested he refund $100, he dug in and said it was my fault i didn't receive the supposed plans....anyhow it cost him over $2,000 defending it .....haha, typical commoners - too stupid to back down

Wow man, what a dick move. How do you sleep at night?

In the U.S. if someone sues you, the burden of proof is on them, not you.  Innocent until proven guilty.  Sure, the defendant has to spend money defending themselves, but if they win, they can countersue for what it cost them, court fees, lawyer fees, loss of wages, etc.. and they usually always win because they won the original case.

Wow man, what a dick move. How do you sleep at night?

In the U.S. if someone sues you, the burden of proof is on them, not you.  Innocent until proven guilty.  Sure, the defendant has to spend money defending themselves, but if they win, they can countersue for what it cost them, court fees, lawyer fees, loss of wages, etc.. and they usually always win because they won the original case.

It was just a game he was playing, anyway it taught him not to screw with younger ppl. In the end i just dropped it.....but i still feel i won considering the cost to him - Game over:)

It was just a game he was playing, anyway it taught him not to screw with younger ppl. In the end i just dropped it.....but i still feel i won considering the cost to him - Game over:)

A game he was playing?  From your own mouth he was trying to defend you trying to shortchange him.  Not only are you a dick, but you don't respect your elders.  And then there's the shag thread.  Man...do you ANY morals? 

edit:

And I just realized...you tried to shortchange him for $100, same as what you pay for shagging hookers.... what'd you do, have his payment in hand and decided to use some of it on another hooker?  Then thought oh fuck, now I don't have enough to pay him, I know, I'm gonna try and cheat the old fart!

geez man...you keep sayin' shit like this like you're all proud of it....do you not realize that nobody around here respects that sort of thing? Fucking grow up.

A game he was playing?  From your own mouth he was trying to defend you trying to shortchange him.  Not only are you a dick, but you don't respect your elders.  And then there's the shag thread.  Man...do you ANY morals? 

edit:

And I just realized...you tried to shortchange him for $100, same as what you pay for shagging hookers.... what'd you do, have his payment in hand and decided to use some of it on another hooker?  Then thought oh fuck, now I don't have enough to pay him, I know, I'm gonna try and cheat the old fart!

geez man...you keep sayin' shit like this like you're all proud of it....do you not realize that nobody around here respects that sort of thing? Fucking grow up.

It had nothing to do with shortchanging - it was about power

Sorry let me elaborate, it wasnt about the time or money, it was the fact as a lower class person he thought he could control an upper class person. And that is unacceptable! Its like you going and ordering your boss around.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.