A thankyou button on posts?

Is there any chance a 'thank you' button can be added to the posts? I've checked out the SMF mod site and there is a mod for the forum called Thank-O-Matic which could work :).

Here is the link:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=710

There are a few posts where I've wanted to say thankyou, but adding a reply of just thank you seems a bit much...

Cheers

Denno

No need to be smart. Even if I was posting this to bump up my post count, I would only get 1 or 2, depending on replies. Whereas I could have just gone through and posted a thankyou on each of the threads that I liked an bumped it up by much more.

That's beside the point anyway, I was seriously suggesting it, I don't believe the sneer remark was called for..

Calm down there sparky, I was saying that is what my post was for, not yours.

I know we've tried things like the karma/reputation ideas before, and I could see how something like this could be useful. But... on the rumor mill the site is gunna be worked on soon, so maybe it's already in the works?

No need to be smart. Even if I was posting this to bump up my post count, I would only get 1 or 2, depending on replies. Whereas I could have just gone through and posted a thankyou on each of the threads that I liked an bumped it up by much more.

That's beside the point anyway, I was seriously suggesting it, I don't believe the sneer remark was called for..

I believe he was referring to "thank you" posts in general, not your OP in particular.

Yes, the site is currently being renovated so I think we're holding off on mods and changes for now.  Like previously mentioned, we've had mods like karma/thank you but they were eventually taken away (not sure exactly why though).  Thanks! ;)

Like previously mentioned, we've had mods like karma/thank you but they were eventually taken away (not sure exactly why though).

Yes, several years ago we did have a karma/rep system in place. Basically what happened was instead of people using it to upvote/downvote posts based on usefulness of answer etc.. it was being treated as a popularity contest.  People would give out positive or negative marks to people they did or didn't like, regardless of post content.  Then people would constantly complain about not getting the positive mark for their post that was clearly the right answer, or complain about how they unfairly got some negative mark. 

We were not opposed to having a rating system in general, but since the system was clearly not being used as intended, we decided to ditch it.  We've always been open for a solution that could be implemented that couldn't be so easily abused, but none have really came up since then. 

And..I have a sneaking suspicion that the karma/rep system in this new site renovation isn't going to be any different than any other existing karma/rep system, and therefore will be abused just the same, but whatever.

We were not opposed to having a rating system in general, but since the system was clearly not being used as intended, we decided to ditch it.  We've always been open for a solution that could be implemented that couldn't be so easily abused, but none have really came up since then. 

And IMHO none will. Nerds are not known for having great personalities, just good analytical minds, and therefore not likely to win a popularity contest. I liken this to American Idol where the best talent never wins. The winner is chosen by the viewers, not a panel of experts on talent.

I don't like the idea. If I was providing good answers to problems (and I'm not, I need answers) and had a negative rating, it would influence me to quit trying to help out.

NOT this again.

The only way that a web based 'rating system' can be used reasonably well, is if there is only 'positive' voting. If you cast a vote at all, it can only contribute to increasing a value. Therefore, there is no way to arbitrarily or capriciously negatively affect the value.

We have a winner - PFMaBiSmAd's post

Facebook Like as an example - if someone likes a page they will click it if not then don't say anything. Kinda iterating the old saying (If you ain't got anything nice to say then don't say nothing).

I am in favor of a one sided rep system like a "Like" OR "Thanks" system and not a double sided one like ratings/thumbs up or down etc as those can cause trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

what about earning credits if someone is happy with the help. after that you can buy a virtually coffee with the credits or buy an outfit for your avatar, lols that would make it really addictive ::) all that is missing than are raid nights and we have a competitor to the world of warcraft :)

There has already been a couple of takes on this problem -- expertsexchange, yahoo answers and more recently stackoverflow.  I'm not holding my breath that this site will morph into something like either of those sites, but of the two stackoverflow certainly has the more creative and fun take on reputation.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.