Good Programming and Web Design Books

theverychap

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find a single Regular Expressions book in the thread.

So here is one.  I belive that it's open-sourced.

http://bookshelf.theopensourcelibrary.org/2009_OReilly_RegularExpressionsCookbook.pdf

Not a book, but good as well:

http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2009/06/01/essential-guide-to-regular-expressions-tools-tutorials-and-resources/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i like to add 'PHP and MySQL Web Development' by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson to the list of recommendations.

It's not lame, neither is it hardcore, but it teaches you things from simple 'Hello World' scripts right through to developing content management systems, email programs, etc.

It's pretty much written in 'English' speak too, not programmers speak, so people of all levels will easily find it useful.

Awesome book indeed, I have been reading it for some time now seriously.

What I mostly like about it is that they actually "talk" there, while in the other programming books, they only show you tons of code with very little explanation on what to do now or how to use the code they have shown.

Edited by Stefany93

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If I may recommend you some German books on this topic, I would like to mention 'PHP 5.4 & MySQL 5.5 - Das umfassende Handbuch' by Stefan Reimers and Gunnar Thies (excellent literature for every German-speaking newcomer to PHP which includes high quality code examples), 'PHP 5.3 & MySQL 5.4 - Programmierung, Administration, Praxisprojekte' by Michael Kofler and Bernd Öggl, 'PHP programmieren unter Windows' by Arno Hollosi for all those who want to use IIS and MSSQL, and, last but not least, a book on JavaScript... 'JavaScript: The Definitive Guide' by David Flanagan.

All of those helped me a lot when I started to learn programming (and still am).

• 4 months later...

i like to add 'PHP and MySQL Web Development' by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson to the list of recommendations.

It's not lame, neither is it hardcore, but it teaches you things from simple 'Hello World' scripts right through to developing content management systems, email programs, etc.

It's pretty much written in 'English' speak too, not programmers speak, so people of all levels will easily find it useful.

It's the booked that got me started on PHP,MySQL.

Recommended.

Edited by axxo1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...