keeping website ideas secret

phpfriendly

Hi, I have ideas for php websites , but I have a problem.

I don't want anyone to steal the idea because I don't have advertising money really, and if someone with more advertising money than me sees the site (it is a new but fairly simple idea-easy to copy) they will copy it and ruin me.

any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

thank you. I was wondering how much money I should save up to advertise and hopefully get a good user base so people don't switch to someone else prematurely and leave me out. Does anyone know how much google advertising dollars is needed to create a viral marketing chain reaction effect? please

I'd suggest building a working local copy of what you intend to do first. Once done, see to try and patent as much as you can (not everything can be patented)  then hope for the best.

If your idea is any good it'll be extremely popular before any rich fuck who wants to steal your ideas can get a decent replica and by that time your customer base will have no reason to switch. The key is to keep updating and to keep your customers happy.

I recently had a site go viral, and although I had hoped that it would... I did almost nothing to make it do so. Seriously.  A couple of back links, some social media, and then I let word of mouth do the rest. Will this always work? No, but it worked just fine for me. In just a few days time I had a site that had a 300,000+ visits, a few writeups in some major newspapers and some other forms of media attention.

The moral of the story? Make your idea sell itself. Word of mouth is powerful. A little advertising doesn't hurt, but let's face it... if you don't have a big budget then find other ways to advertise than Google AdWords or the like. Backlinks off of forums, blogs, etc. ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.