PHPFreaks Contests?

Anybody interested in the idea of us doing some contests?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Anybody interested in the idea of us doing some contests?

• No
    • Yes

Hello All,

Most of us on the staff like the idea of hosting contests here.  In the past, we've tried to do it, but our attempts were fail.  We have more or less been in agreement that the reason the contests failed was due to lack of prizes that anybody really cared about.  Well we've been talking about it and we think we have enough people willing to chip in towards handing out some decent prizes.  Nothing substantial like thousands of dollars...but enough to hand out something smallish but cool like books or $20 amazon or thinkgeek giftcards etc...

So first off, we'd like to see how many people would even be interested in competitions around here.  So cast your vote in the poll!

But second, we'd also like to hear from people about contest ideas and suggestions, so please post your contest suggestions in this thread.  To give an idea of scope, back in the day, we tried out two contests: one was to make a graphing calculator and the other one was to make a text based fighting game.  IMO both were pretty cool ideas, something that has room to have cool bells and whistles but not take months on end to make, etc... so let's hear it!

One last note:

If you are interested in donating to the "prize" pool, please PM me! Your generosity may be rewarded with things such as joining the Supporter Membergroup (Supporters get a badge under their name to distinguish themselves from regular members, and they also have the site ads removed), or other benefits such as being a judge in the contests, etc...

.josh

For reference these are the 2 previous contests we held:

PHP GD Graphing Calculator!

Requirements:

• Basic math: addition/subtraction/division/multiplication
  • Logrithmic functions - ln, log, x^y
  • Trig functions - sin(), cos(), tan() of basic 2D equations
  • Traversal of the axis (x and y)

In addition to the basic functions, you may do 'advanced' functions, which will be judged and awarded seperately, such as (but not limited to):

• Anything 3D
  • Zoom capability
  • Plotting multiple equations on the same graph

PHP MMORPG!

(massive multiplayer online role playing game)

Requirements:

• Registration: Must be able to register an account.  Nothing fancy is required.  You don't need to go all out with password authentication/captcha/email verification, etc... just a simple registering of a username, so that you can be unique (your script must obviously be able to check if the username is unique).

• Login/Logout: Must be able to login and logout. Again, the purpose of the registration/login portion of this script is to differentiate people.  Security isn't a requirement. Minimum requirement is that you be able to enter in your name so that your script knows who is attacking who.
  • List players: Must be able to list all of the players. The minimum requirement is that the list be readable.  You can do a simple space or comma seperate list if you really want to...at your own risk...
  • Attack players: Must be able to select a player to attack (examples: make the name a link, make an input field to enter the name in, etc...).  Once player is "targeted," your script must at the minimum start yourself and your target with a number, and then alternate taking a random amount away from each of the players' numbers.  First person to zero loses. 

In addition to these basic routines, you may do 'advanced' features, which will be judged and awarded seperately, such as (but not limited to):

• [x]How fancy your player list is.  Suggested features include pagination, sorting by name, date registered, other 'features' (such as wins/losses) etc..
    [x]Creating a 'leveling up' system.  Something even as simple as your number being raised a little bit whenever you win a fight would be a whole lot cooler than a standard number every time.
    [x]Security. I said it wasn't a requirement.  That's because it's a bonus. If you do go the extra mile to include things like password authentication, captcha/email verifications, form/data validation, etc.. you will obviously get more points than someone who does the bare minimum.

I compiled a list of ideas from the previous suggestion thread:

• [x][profile]jesirose[/profile]: Translator. It takes the text entered by the user and translates it to a funny version, such as Pirate, 1337sp34k, redneck, etc.
    [x][profile]fert[/profile]: Make a fully functional blog
    [x][profile]mattd8752[/profile]: Create an AI bot
    [x][profile]The Little Guy[/profile]: Online planner/address book
    [x][profile]steelmanronald06[/profile]: CMS (the idea of the "smallest code base for a CMS" came from this one)
    [x][profile]coolcoolm[/profile]: News System With Coments
    [x][profile]coolcoolm[/profile]: Arcade With High Scores
    [x][profile]coolcoolm[/profile]: Tutorial Site With Coments
    [x]
Jaysonic: statistics program
[x]Jaysonic: Media gallery
[x]Jaysonic: Member system
[x]Jaysonic: Topsite / Link exchange
[x]Jaysonic: Calendar
[x][profile]Streety[/profile]: RSS reader
[x][profile]Streety[/profile]: Search Engine
[x][profile]utexas_pjm[/profile]: Cipher based, where speed and accuracy wins
[x][profile]play_[/profile]: A multi-language syntax hilighter (like GeShi)
[x][profile]ToonMariner[/profile]: Fully featured web mail interface
[x][profile]NArc0t1c[/profile]: Mini forum (similiar to the CMS)
[x][profile]NArc0t1c[/profile]: Puzzle based (similiar to a cipher based one, where speed and accuracy wins)
[x][profile]heckenschutze[/profile]: Weather forecaster (forecast the weather from RSS feeds & satellite data)
[x][profile]TheFilmGod[/profile]: something like Digg. com
[x][profile]Milbea[/profile]: Chess
[x][profile]Milbea[/profile]: Blackjack
[x][profile]phpSensei[/profile]: Online chat system with bbcodes, rooms - similar to IRC
[x][profile]Rhysyngsun[/profile]: An application that generates suggestions everyone likes for the next contest (I'm a fan of this one)
[x][profile]stuffradio[/profile]: A basic file tracker system to share(legal) files.
[x][profile]chrisdburns[/profile]: A site similiar to http://www.hackthissite.org/

My ideas:

• [x]Create an analytics tool (similar to Google Analytics)
    [x]IRC bot

Anyway, I'm all for the contests idea. I think we should try and build something a little left of centre though. Maybe a package manager for PHP libraries? A Rake clone? A static site generator?

Salathe Edit: Removed off-topic sentence referring to deleted post.

Even though it isn't code related, I think that a phpfreaks logo contest would be a good idea for a start competition.

We couldn't exactly guarantee that the winning logo is used, but I am very curious to see what everyone could come up with.  I find myself ocasionally sketching out logos when I'm doodling, but I can never get passed that segmented circle.  There has to be an awesome-r phpfreaks logo out there in someone's brain somewhere.

All for competitions. If I get time.

You could make the first competition: Create a site for managing further competitions.

Users can register, make a profile (Or use the forum profile)

Admins can post new competitions

Users can post entries to competitions. Including a link to a demo and source code?

Users can vote on entries.

Etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who voted - we ended up with 90% saying yes... which I'd say is a pretty good indication we want some friendly competition going around here. I'm going to start planning & more discussions with the staff and release more information when we're ready (hopefully soon!)

Thanks to all who voted - we ended up with 90% saying yes... which I'd say is a pretty good indication we want some friendly competition going around here. I'm going to start planning & more discussions with the staff and release more information when we're ready (hopefully soon!)

Awesome, this should be cool..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.